Drysuit air distribution issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ESharp

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys

i recently started diving dry in a Scubapro Everdry 4 neoprene suit but after diving it multiple times I have been suffering really bad squeeze exclusively in the lower half suit which is pretty uncomfortable to say the least. I try to equalise the pressure with some squirts of air but it only ever works for the upper portion of the suit since practically no air flows to the lower half.

I am unsure of why this is happening since there is definitely space between the over suit and under suit and air does sometimes make it there but that puts me into an ascent. It has been suggested that my trim may be the cause of it since I suspect I am slightly overweighted causing tilt when swimming horizontally but not sure if this would be enough to limit the airflow. Also the suit remains compressed in the lower half when I exit the water which leads me to further question this theory.

I am really worried that that the suit may not be fitted correctly and be a danger so if anyone has experienced similar issues or has an idea of how I could alienate the pressure it would be greatly appreciated. I am going diving soon so can test the trim theory with less attached weight,

Thanks in advance.

E

Air won't go "downhill," so it sounds like you're way too vertical if no air is getting into the lower portion of your drysuit.

Diving horizontally is way superior to diving vertically. You'll have more control and more efficient propulsion, not to mention better gas usage.

Check out this useful blog entry:http://www.deepseasherpa.com/blog/training/horizontal-trim-101-uses/

Last edited:
Is the 'under suit' wooly bears, or something else ? I have thinsulate underwear for my Viking and have never had localized squeeze problems.

The waist strap of the BC isn't overly tight to the degree that it's constricting if anything it's a little loose at times however I do use a weight belt but hopefully that isn't stopping the air moving. In terms of an under suit I use o'three extreme pbbx thermals.

I agree with what's already been pointed out. Physics is inexorable; if you can't get air into your legs and feet, it's because they are below the rest of you. Diving feet down is extremely common in newer divers and in cold water, where putting the large amounts of weight we need in integrated weight pockets and weight belts almost always results in a feet-down diver.

Have your buddy take a look at you the next time you go diving, and use his hand to show you the angle your body is making with the horizontal. If, as I suspect, you are head-up/feet-down, there are MANY threads here about how to move weight around to solve that problem.

Hi guys sorry about the delayed response wanted to get my last couple of dives this year in first.

This time around I swapped out the undersuit to a less bulky Scubapro Climatech onesie plus fluffy shorty thing and reduced my weight belt to 13Kg.
After 2 20m dives at St Catherine on Loch Fyne (horizontal hail stones throughout) I noticed a significant improvement in trim and the suit felt miles more comfortable with the different undersuit. This has eliminated the air distribution problem (no more crushed goolies) and I was the toastiest diver on sight. I also found that ducking forward while filling the suit also made getting air into the legs easier, I might also drop another 2Kg on the next dive and see how it works out.

Thanks again for all the help folks I am finally starting to get the hang of dry suit buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom