Drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Bare crushed neoprene and a Waterproof trilam. For UK diving plus travel, I would go trilam, for sure - with attached neoprene socks (vs attached boots). Actually, I'd do that even if it were just for the UK. My trilam is more comfortable in the water and way more comfortable out of the water. Especially on a warm day.
The Bare XCS2 neoprene is at the top of my list for a new suit, but I've never dove one. Just curious what makes the trilam more comfortable for you overall?

The Bare XCS2 neoprene is at the top of my list for a new suit, but I've never dove one. Just curious what makes the trilam more comfortable for you overall?

On the surface, the XCS2 is a lot warmer. Nice in cold weather. Miserable when diving the local quarry during the summer.

In the water, the XCS2 is stretchy. So, reaching for valves (for example) means (for me and the way mine fits) fighting against some resistance while I'm doing it. With the trilam, there is no stretch, but the cut is looser, so I don't need the suit to stretch to do the same thing.

Also, in the water, the trilam feels like it squeezes down onto my body better. So, I end up feeling like I have less air moving around inside. It's like being shrink wrapped with normal plastic cling wrap versus being shrink wrapped with, well, thicker rubber. The thin cling wrap presses into the nooks and crannies better and collapses on itself better, getting more air out.

It is clear to me from reading on here that other people feel exactly the opposite, so I don't know what to tell you. I bought my XCS2 first and was diving it for over a year before I got the trilam. I bought the XCS2 in large part because of posts I read here on SB that said that a crushed neoprene would have LESS air moving around inside than a trilam. Maybe it just all comes down to how well the specific suit fits the specific diver. But, I feel like both my suits fit me extremely well.

The only real reason I bought the trilam was not that I had a real problem with the XCS2, per se. It was that I wanted a suit that would be better for taking when I fly, and that would be more comfortable in warm weather. And I found my trilam used, for CHEAP. I used to only wear a dry suit for diving in water too cold for a 7mm wetsuit. I got to where I wanted to dive dry even in warmer water, if I'm diving with double steels and a deco bottle. I was expecting the trilam to be a tradeoff. Convenience when traveling and comfort on the surface versus nicer to dive. As it turns out, I like it better in every respect. It's not as inherently warm as the XCS2, but I can simply wear a bit more undergarment when I need it, so that hasn't been an issue for me (in water down to 37F, so far).

Also, the torso being telescopic makes it a bit more versatile, for me, in my ability to wear no undergarments or thick undergarments. With a non-telescopic torso, if it fits well (not baggy in the crotch) with no undergarments, then thick undergarments will make it feel a bit short in the torso. If it's non-telescopic and fits well with thick undergarments, then it will be a bit saggy in the crotch with no undergarments. The telescopic torso is long enough for any undergarments and the telescopic portion takes up the slack, so it never feels saggy in the crotch. My XCS2 walks a very fine line. It's a LITTLE tight in the upper body with my thickest undergarments, and it's a LITTLE too saggy with no undergarments on. If you want one suit for all conditions, then I think trilam with a telescopic torso is the way to go. If you want a very tough suit that is only for cold water, and you're not planning to fly with it, then I think an XCS2 is a GREAT choice. (and if you want a mint, all-black XCS2 Tech, size XL, mine is for sale :)).

Last edited:
Thanks Stuart, great info! I'm beginning to think my old Fusion Sport is probably the best choice until I actually need another suit. I do wish I could try out a neoprene suit somewhere. Maybe DUI is still doing a demo day.

I started many years ago with a DUI Membrane, which I was very pleased with. I then had a compressed Neoprene which I wore to death - it started off black and ended up a green Kaki towards the end. I have another DUI membrane which I use for holidays, and a Fusion Tech for most of my UK diving.

I would have bought another DUI , but all the ones I've seen in the last 10 years seem to have a poor build quality, and I was reluctant to spend DUI prices for a substandard suit.

The O3 I've seen with friends seem to be very good. The Otter trilaminate that a friend has also appears to be very good. As I said before my girlfriend was always very happy with her Otter.

The Crushed Neoprene DUI I had was great, but it was heavy(ish) and didn't dry quickly. In comparison the TLS (trilaminate) which drys very quickly and is quite light.

Gareth

Last edited:
Hi. This is Kathy long with DUI. We have three rental centers available. More information on each is available at DUI DRYSUIT RENTAL CENTERS - be warm while scuba diving

They are located at Dutch Springs, Mermet Springs and Dive Georgia. Also you could check with your local DUI Dealer and see if they could arrange a DEMO for you.

Thank you.

The OP is in the UK. Altho it would be nice if Kathy addressed some of the posts here about DUI quality. All the people I have talked to with ten or so year old DUI suits love them. People that hav purchased them more recently always complain about issues with the suit.

Hi Kathy

I would like to be convinced that DUI are making quality suits again. Having had three (Two Trilaminates, and one Crushed Neoprene) , I would like to feel that I could buy another Crushed Neoprene.

I still use one of my Trilaminates when traveling. But all the more recent suits seem to have issues. I was shocked when I held one up to the light and could see through the seam!

Gareth
(UK)

Hi Gareth. Not having seen the drysuit/s you mention I cannot comment.

I have an Othree Ri 2100 which is crushed neoprene. Great suit that it built to take a lot of abuse. I also have a non-crushed neoprene suit which I love. I have always been concerned about suit loosing buoyancy and insulating properties at depth with it but a thicker undergarment solves that quite well.

I have a FE Argonaut Kevlar and a Bare crushed neoprene suit (XCS). The FE is very comfortable, lighter and drys much faster than the Bare but it's not a very tough suit, it began to to fall apart after 100 or so dives, external seam tape starting peeling off and it became a progressivly less dry suit. I find the Bare suit less comfortable but it's been a reliable (dry) suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom