Drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jakeh2o

Registered
Reaction score
I move a lot with my Job but Im from North Carolin
I have done a lot of research on dry suits (haven’t bought one yet) and it seems that the tri-laminated suits are lighter but seem to me not as sturdy but are lighter weight IE better for travel. While compressed neoprene seems more durable but cost considerably more and are heavier. I travel a bit with my job so weight will be an issue. I am looking at the Pinnacle Evo 2, DUI TSL350, or the DUI CLX450. I think I will like the front entry and telescoping torso. I am 6’2” 165lbs (skinny).

So a few questions: A lot of the newer suits are front entry making them self donning and doffing but we should have been taught never to dive alone. Is there greater comfort with a front zipper versus the shoulder to shoulder? Or is it more personal preference?
What material would recommend? Am I right about tri-laminate being light but not very durable and crushed neoprene being on the other end of the spectrum; where does Cordura fit in with the other two?

Thanks for the help

Well let's see.

First...a very high quality Trilam will usually be a bit more expensive than a comparable crushed neoprene. Of course DUI is more expensive than just about everybody...not taking anything away from their gear...but I think they are overpriced. As far as neo vs. trilam, it is personal preference. I personally like trilam as they dry very quickly, you have more flexibility in undergarments as trilam has no insulation value so I can vary my undergarments down to where I can dive fairly warm water without overheating if I choose to do so. There are those however that swear by neoprene.

I have a Bare XD Trilam Tech. Lifetime warranty, and I have had it snagged wandering around the inside of wrecks. It is I think, pretty durable. There was one of the threads similar to yours where someone (I believe it was the same suit I have) was putting a P-valve in their suit and it took about thirty blows with a new punch against a hardwood block to get the hole in the thing...then he had to trim it out with an X-acto knife. I would agree that the cheaper, lighter weight trilam's might puncture...but once you get to the better ones, they wear just fine. For my first laminate suit I had an OS Offshore, which is hardly what I would call a heavy duty suit...and that lasted 15 years other than having the seals replaced a few times.

The front zipper is ease of use and I prefer being able to get in and out of my suit without having to wait on someone.

Any suit will puncture if it is abused enough...but insofar as trilam vs. neoprene, a high quality suit will last a long time as long as it is taken care of. I think if you do a bit of research here using the search feature, you will find a lot of opinions and thoughts. Also if you are 6'2" and 165, you should try and get a custom fit, which isn't a bad idea for anyone buying a drysuit.

I agree with SlowRain, I have a Bare Trilam ATR HD. This is my first dry suit and after many forums and reasearch I chose It because of the lifetime warranty on seams and the general possitive reviews from people using this suit. Also alot of the people I am diving with use the suit as well. The suit is very durable and forgiving to those less experienced, so If you accidently rub up against rails on a boat or rocks, bump into things underwater you wont be as worried as you should be with shell style suits of bilam or kevlar. The front entry is a blessing. Bare also has a great fit I am 6'2 180 and mine fits like a glove without being custom fitted. It is loose enough for warm thermo garments for the cold water I dive in. Donning and doffing is a snap, Would say go for the suspenders as well. It does come down to preference though and the type of diving you do. Pinnacle makes a great suit, the Evolution 2 is alot simular to the Bare ATR HD trilam and one one of my other choices. I don't know much about DUI but have heard great reviews. I don't regret the drysuit I have and will reccomend It.

Ahhh decisions, decisions.....

Here is my story....I purchased a crushed neo suit after spending hours researching and talking to people. I live in Mid Missouri and typically dive locally. I selected the crushed neo because I tend to get cold a deeper depths. I feel for you because I know what you are going through. First, decision do I go with trilam or crushed neo? Second, decision, what suit?

I like my crushed neo - it definately is warm with minimul undergarmets. But, it is heavy and bulky - lots of weight. It fits me fine, but with a lot of undergarmet it is a little tight. I recently just ordered the Evo 2. Haven't dove it, but have heard a lot of positives about it. Once I have it, I will then make another decision - do I keep my crushed neo and wear it in the winter and the Evo 2 more for summer? Don't know, I'm hoping I really like the Evo 2 and then I might sell the crushed neo.

S. Nagel

So Neoprene or Latex seals? I read that latex seals better but when I talked to someone at the local dive shop he said neoprene seals better.... could it be more from use? I know to much movement can cause leaks in the seals while diving... maybe one is more forgiving then the other?

Here's my 2 cents

I've had my Tri-lam for a little over 3 years. It is an off the shelf, nothing cusom, rear entry suit. It has served me well. I will probably need to replace the neck seal soon, but the wrist ones are doing great.

I've taken the thing through wrecks and across all sorts of other sharp pointy things. most of my diving is from shore, so i've been beat up on the rocks and such. The suit has survived everything. (Except for a bit from a curious Sea Lion, but that was easy to patch with some aqua seal.)

My only real issue is some of the seams are getting a little old and starting to leak slightly. Again, Aquaseal to the rescue. No problems since.

I recently ordered a White's Fusion. (whitesdiving.com) It fits like a glove, with no need to customise the fit. I've dove with them twice at a local demo day. I ordered teh Tech skin, but did the demos with the lycra.

I wasn't sure how long lasting it would be, but I TRIED to catch it on barnacles and rocks. Nothing! It just slid right over. The mobility is great, and you get the option of as much or little insulation as you want, and the fit changes with you - always nice and tight, while still moving easy. (the best part of this suit - it feels like you're wearing a 3 mm wetsuit, but dry and warm)

The only downside so far - you look like a power ranger.

But as others have said, it's personal preference. I suggest renting a few different styles. See what YOU like, and then buy. it's a big enough investment, take it for a test drive (dive)

What material would recommend? Am I right about tri-laminate being light but not very durable and crushed neoprene being on the other end of the spectrum; where does Cordura fit in with the other two?

Thanks for the help

Well, crushed neoprene is probably more durable in the grand scheme of things, but I've got more than 100 wreck dives on my TLS-350 in the last two seasons and it's still like brand new. I find the lack of inherent buoyancy to be a plus (less weight needed) as well as flexibility (with different layers of undergarments) to be comfortable in the suit from 38oF to 70oF.

Another benefit that is not often mentioned, and may not be a big deal to some, but a trilam suit dries off in a matter of minutes. Like you I travel often for work, and bring my gear whenever I can get a few dives in and I find that being able to roll the TLS350 up and pack it right after a dive to be an added benefit. As you alluded to it's also considerably lighter than a neoprene suit, which is another consideration in these days of tighter luggage restrictions.

Note also that not all manufacturers trilam is the same. The BARE trilam feels a bit heartier, sort of closer to Cordura. I had a BARE HD Tech suit, but sold it after a few dives in favor of the DUI mostly because it fit poorly, but I do suspect it would hold up better if it were to snag on a wreck or something. I did however also find it was heavier and less flexible than the DUI. Everything's a trade-off.

Front zip is great, not so much for diving alone but I do like being able to don/doff the suit by myself. Not just for simple self sufficiency, but with no pee valve I sometimes find myself trying to get to the head pretty quickly after a dive, and others would be hard pressed to unzip you while you're hopping back and forth from one foot to the other babbling "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, oh God, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, hurry, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon..."

If I were buying a new suit I think I'd go for a DUI CLX450 which is Cordura top and bottom, or perhaps a DUI FLX50/50 which has crushed (not compressed) neoprene on the legs and a cordura-like polyester/rubber/polyester trilam on the top. (as opposed to the TLS trilam which is nylon/rubber/nylon)

You should note, however that at 6'2" and 165lbs you are probably going to need to look at a custom suit. I'm 6'2" and 185lbs and wear a stock large in the DUI, but am really at the edge of being able to get away with it from a "skinniness" standpoint. Any skinnier and I would be able to turn around inside it.

The fit of the suit is going to be the ultimate deciding point for whether you like it or not, so be sure to work with a dealer who can get you measured properly and fitted right! Your profile doesn't say where you are located, so consider providing that info - certainly someone here can recommend a dealer near you that you can work with.

Ray

Im in North Carolina but will be moving to Northern Japan in July. I think I am going to go with the Pinnacle Evo2. I use a Pinnacle wet suit and it fits like a glove and Pinnacle has Medium Tall sizes for us skinny people so I wont have to pay extra for a custom fit. Ohh and the price isnt as bad as the DUI suits :p

just make sure it fits in your legs well....that for me was a bit of a pita cause my ankels turned into balloons when i pointed down but that was a bit of being overweighted as well but i think if i had to do it over again i would get a custom cut because it will fit you perfect and not have a big baggy suit to deal with a volume of air that is hard to control. if you have never dove a dry suit rent one first just so you can get a feel for it... i think its the biggest change you could make in terms of a transition from one type of gear to another

Back
Top Bottom