Drysuit Advice needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selachimorpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I'm looking for a drysuit that really stands up to wear and tear. Its maybe not going to be washed for 1 or 2 weeks at a time, and i'm going to be diving it a lot (like 6 days a week or more). I'm not very familar with different types of drysuits or even different available brands, so can anyone give me some advice please?

The hardest wearing suit I know is the Viking HD, that does not make it the best suit for you. What sort of diving are you planning?

Not looking for something like the viking, i won't be going into any contaminated water or anything like that, the suit will be used in the ocean. I meant more like something that will really stand up to being used every day continuously and that is going to last a long time. sometimes the suit will maybe be on the boat without getting washed for a few weeks, but still being dived in every day. any thoughts?

The Viking is and will be up to anything.
But in your case I would try to get a Cordura Trilaminate suit.
Does(almost) the same as the Viking but is lightweight and abrasive reistant.(as is the Viking)
Maybe you can also have a look at the new Hollis drysuits,made from bioflex.
Very resistant to abrasians and even chemicals.:confused:

A viking style suit (viking, gates, avon, etc.) will take the most of that sort of abuse since the material does not wet (it is also the only style suit that is as "good as new" after a field repair. I do not like tri-lams, but that would be my second choice for your situation with any style of neoprene (crushed or otherwise) being a distant third since the laminated nylon holds water (and salt).

I think I'm leaning more towards a Tri-Lam, any suggestions in terms of those?

No - I really dislike them.

You can't have everything. For the situation you have described, you need a suit that is easy to repair. Having used Viking and Aqula suits for commercial diving, I will add my vote for the Viking too (or Aqula if they are still around) not just because they are durable, but because they can be repaired in the field. Thal advised you well. If it will go a long time between cleanings, that is not an issue either, just soap it up and hose it down.

c

Back
Top Bottom