Drying gear with Calcium Chloride Crystals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soakedlontra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody used calcium chloride crystals to speeding up the drying process of scuba gear by absorbing the moisture that the gear releases in the air while drying? The crystals absorb this humidity and turn it into water that I dump into the bathroom sink.

If yes, is it safe for the respiratory system and the sewer?

Why not, this chemical is used to remove humidity in basements and damp places.
I think that it would be best to put your scuba equipment in a closet with the crystals to accelerate the process.

As far as the water collected, I would not know.

Why not, this chemical is used to remove humidity in basements and damp places.
I think that it would be best to put your scuba equipment in a closet with the crystals to accelerate the process.

As far as the water collected, I would not know.

Thanks!

I don't have a closet so I have to hang the gear inside the shower-room, which more or less I figure it must be the same size of a big closet. Recently my buddy had the idea to add a little fan, on top of that we have to keep the baseboard electric heater on all night!

(I am wondering how much the next electricity bill will be...:depressed:)

Does it not say on the packet how to dispose of the liquid? I'd imagine if it was not safe to pour down the sink it'd have it outlines on the instructions.
The one in my cupboard has instructions to pour the liquid down the sink when it reaches a certain level. You'd think (hope) all varieties would produce a relatively harmless liquid. I'm sure it couldn't produce anything too harmful, but if you're unsure, pour it down the toilet.

Does it not say on the packet how to dispose of the liquid? I'd imagine if it was not safe to pour down the sink it'd have it outlines on the instructions.
The one in my cupboard has instructions to pour the liquid down the sink when it reaches a certain level. You'd think (hope) all varieties would produce a relatively harmless liquid. I'm sure it couldn't produce anything too harmful, but if you're unsure, pour it down the toilet.

The packet doesnÃÕ' tell you anything! But it does not have a health warning label either.

I was concerned about using this stuff in an environment where I could breathe it every day because several days later I started to use it my throat began to feel a bit 'funny'.

I guess it must have been just a coincidence and I coming down with an ordinary cold.Darn!:depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom