Drying gear in a hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings All

Me and the Missus are heading to the keys in March. We are staying in a few different hotels and diving everyday with a few different operators over seven days.

Any advice on how to keep our gear from getting too funky throughout the week?

Thanks

The only way to keep the smell down is to rinse the salt water out and let it air out. Don't leave it wet in the truck of the car. I go for a week at a time with out my gear seeing fresh water but its hanging up and getting plenty of wind. As long as it drys the smell is not too bad.

I always soak ours in the tub. Don't put it all in at once. Your exposure suit holds LOTS of salt. Wash the regs, computers & instruments in separate, fresh rinse. Then depending on the room, security issues, etc., either leave it laying in the bottom of the empty tub, hang it on a shower rod or on a balcony (but it never dries outdoors in the Keys anyway)

How about your dynamite?

Some kind of random thoughts:

• Salt bad. Wet, it promotes the growth of mung. Dry, it shreds fabric.
  • Pee bad. Stop applying fertilizer to the mung, use the toilet.
  • Freshwater good. Apply liberally.
  • Fresh air good. Hang it up and make sure there is air circulating around it. Buy a cheap fan if you have to.
  • Sunshine bad. It kills mung but it's also hard on neoprene. Use judiciously.
  • Mirazyme and Sink the Stink good. Biological warfare against mung is not a violation of the Geneva Conventions and these are highly effective.

I always rinse and hang in the shower or balcany, sometimes I may skip aday with the suit and fins but I rinse the computer and regs EVERY time.

Greetings All

Me and the Missus are heading to the keys in March. We are staying in a few different hotels and diving everyday with a few different operators over seven days.

Any advice on how to keep our gear from getting too funky throughout the week?

Thanks

Dive with Conch Republic, they have several drying racks on property. Oh, and they're a pretty awesome dive op too. :thumbs_up:

CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS VOTED #1 DIVE SHOP IN FLORIDA KEYS..2006 & 2007

When I was working out in San Diego for 5 months and surfing quite a bit, I would simply take my wetsuit in the shower with me, rinse off all the sand/salt, and then if I got a little shampoo on it, no harm. I would hang it up to dry on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom, and leave the bathroom vent fan on. Also, another tip, leave the A/C on as it takes moisture out of the air in the room, which will facilitate drying of your gear. In the keys, I would try and place it close to the A/C vent to dry for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom