Dry vs Tropical dry vs wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tajkd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On my way to Galapagos in September and trying to decide between full drysuit and tropical drysuit. Wetsuit will be my backup I guess. I've worn the tropical throughout the Caribbean and in Truk so even "warm water" is drysuit temperature for me. Any suggestions?

:idk:

On my way to Galapagos in September and trying to decide between full drysuit and tropical drysuit. Wetsuit will be my backup I guess. I've worn the tropical throughout the Caribbean and in Truk so even "warm water" is drysuit temperature for me. Any suggestions?

:idk:

I'm going with the TLS-350 and lighter undergarments. I was cold with the tropical in the Red Sea (where the water was warmer than Galapagos) I think mostly due to having wet feet in the 30/30.

Any suggestions?

Warning: This is going to sound harsh....

If you are ready to go diving in the Galloping Pogos, you would simply ask (or research) what the water temps will be and decide upon your exposure protection accordingly.

The experience of others is absolutely irrelevant, we all deal with cold differently.

Your experience will also be affected by the quantity of diving per day. It will also depend upon the environment for your surface interval. An air conditioned, (and even a gently) rocking ship can slow core temperature recovery way down. Liveaboard? Land Based? What kind of liveaboard schedule of diving?

Many, many variables, only personally answerable by tour own past experiences.

This is part of why the Galapagos is in the "advanced" category... many new situations for many divers.

In example... I was forced by air-shipment issues to do many dives there in my Polarfleece, in 72° water. I did it for 10 days. Thus, I would say, "that's all you need is a Polarfleece".

With me?

No so much harsh, as "assumptive" at any rate.

If you are ready to go diving in the Galloping Pogos, you would simply ask (or research) what the water temps will be and decide upon your exposure protection accordingly.

Pretty sure David is ready for diving in Galapagos...

:cool2:

He and I are both still trying to nail down precise exposure protection needs within the "dry suit" category for our trip.

Your suggested "simple research" about the water temps in Galapagos turns up surprisingly imprecise estimates:

"Surprisingly, its water temperatures range from 16°C to 27°C degrees Celsius (61°F – 80°F)"

"In the Galapagos you may routinely encounter water temperature in the range of 62-78 degrees F, and that potentially even on the same dive!"

"Water temperatures: Vary greatly, range from 60 degrees F to 80 degrees F."

"The water temperature varies during the year:
* January to June: from 70°F (21°C) to 80°F (27°C)
* July to December: from 65°F (18°C) to 75°F (23°C)"

Asking/searching here on SB generates a similarly wide range of reported/alleged temperatures, even for any given month.

We'll be liveaboard based, and tend to do as many dives as are offered. (Even been known to scrounge up an extra dive here or there.) As David's mentioned, we dive dry in the Caymans, Bonaire, Truk, etc. Guess we're looking for guidance as to "how dry" we should be.

:D

* July to December: from 65°F (18°C) to 75°F (23°C)"

That's a pretty narrow band and likely what I would expect, in September I would put it at more like 65>72°, but that's just my anecdotal experience from two September trips. (It's their low season!)

Now it is up to the individual to do the math.

Combining all of their past experiences in regards to multiple, repetitive dives in this given weekly time period, what is their past experience? If they believe in the anecdotal reports that nitrox allows for quicker core temperature SI recoveries, will there be nitrox available, will it be advised for their diving profiles?

You'll likely only find those colder temps of 65>69° in the Northerly Islands, another unstated factor in the equation. I am only making assumptions here, as RJP pointed out. If your liveaboard is making the 18+ hr crossing (each way) to Wolf & Darwin Islands, this might assist in your core temperature recuperation curve, but transporting you to exposure in colder waters.

It has also conversely been proven that by merely exposing the body to a new stimulus such as the motion of a small vessel and air conditioning will slow that recovery rate.

I dove there in a 2x2 shorty, in may a couple of years back.

I wouldn't recommend it :D though it wasn't that bad really. 22-24º

Yea yea
The experience of others is absolutely irrelevant, we all deal with cold differently.

Hence the main reason for this board - so I can ignore the opinions of everyone

Your experience will also be affected by the quantity of diving per day. It will also depend upon the environment for your surface interval. An air conditioned, (and even a gently) rocking ship can slow core temperature recovery way down. Liveaboard? Land Based? What kind of liveaboard schedule of diving?

Many, many variables, only personally answerable by tour own past experiences.

blah blah blah

This is part of why the Galapagos is in the "advanced" category... many new situations for many divers.

Well I guess I better cancel my trip based on your recommendations

In example... I was forced by air-shipment issues to do many dives there in my Polarfleece, in 72° water. I did it for 10 days. Thus, I would say, "that's all you need is a Polarfleece".

With me?

Finally - a recommendation, sort of.

I dove there in a 2x2 shorty, in may a couple of years back.

I wouldn't recommend it :D though it wasn't that bad really. 22-24º

Thanks for that info - I wasn't considering a shorty but I appreciate knowing it was frigid in one. I'm reading that people choose between wetsuit and drysuit but I was on the fence about the tropical dry. I think I'll end up taking the full drysuit as many others do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom