Dry Tortugas trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from a 4 day dive trip to the Dry Tortugas aboard the Ultimate Getaway ( http://www.ultimategetaway.net ) and it was a great trip. I logged 21 dives in 3.5 days and it was some of the best diving I had ever done. We left the dock in Ft Meyers Fl. at 6pm on Wednesday and made the 1st dive at around 7am Thursday. I did 7 dives Thursday. 8 dives Friday, 4 (out of 6) dives Saturday and 2 dives on the Baja California wreck Sunday.

Capt. Rick and the crew of the Ultimate Getaway did a great job. They kept our tanks and bellies filled and knew the dive sites very well. The only detractions to any of the dives were the currents that popped up on several of the dives that caused many of the group to have some fairly long swims back to the boat. They have an on-board membrane system for Nitrox and the mix is analyzed 3 times (as it goes into the storage bank, as it comes out of the bank and again at the diver's tank). The boat is not a luxury live-aboard, but it was comfortable and clean. The food was good and the crew went out of their way to make sure everyone had a good time.

The marine life in the Tortugas park was fantastic. We saw a bunch of grouper, jewfish, snapper, barracuda and even a 10-12ft bull shark. the dives on the wreck of the Baja Calaifornia were about the best I have ever made. It is a great wreck, a torpedoed WWII freighter, with good coral growth and many fish including 10-15 large jewfish and many 4-8 ft barracuda as well as angels, wrasses and other tropicals. The dives were mostly in the 40-70ft depth range with some deeper dives on the Ultimate ledge and the Baja California (100-115 ft) with something for all skill levels. I highly recommend this trip to anyone and everyone. My wife and I are already planning our next trip with them.

Did you have a chance to visit Ft. Jefferson as well? I always thought that diving the dry tortugas would be great, glad you had a good time.
Caymaniac

We did get to see Fort Jefferson on Saturday morning. It was one of the photo ops and we took a picture with all of us around the Ft. Jefferson sign. For the 4 day trip here is the typical schedule:
Day 1 (Thursday) Diving in the park 6-8 dives
Day 2 (Friday) Diving in the park 5-8 dives
Day 3 (Saturday) Ft. Jefferson in the am, 2-3 park dives, 2-4 dives outside the park including 2 dives on the Ultimate Ledge
Day 4 (Sunday) 2 morning dives on the Baja California or 1 dive on the Baja and 1 dive on the radio tower

I think that the 3 day trips are about the same with day 1 being Friday. When you look at the number of dives and the cost per dive I think this is one of the best values going.

Just out of curiosity, how much did this trip cost? Did you book through a shop or directly through Ultimate Getaway?
Thanks,
Rick

The trip was $830 per person including Nitrox fills and we booked through a dive shop. We have since found out that we can book directly with Ultimate Getaway for about $550 per person for the 4 day trip. Our next trip we plan to book directly. I would recommend booking through a dive shop or group for your first trip just so you have a group of people you know along with you the first run.

I always try to book directly, all my LDS's want me to pay their way! Man $280 hard earned bucks, I could buy more gear!

I'll be on the Ultimate Getaway July 4th weekend. I can't wait!! Are there any tips you can give me on what to bring or what to do to get the most out of the experience? I hear it's first come first served as far as bunks go. Where are the best bunks on the boat?

I keep checking the NOAA weather buouy for the Dry Tortugas and the water temperature is now 82 - 83 degrees! WArm water, sunshine and nitrox - here I come!!

When I went on the trip (with LSD) I asked one of the people who was somewhat local to Ft. Myers why he booked through the LSD shop I used and got an answer I didn't expect. "He said because when he booked direct the past 3 times, the trip got canceled and he got tired of not being able to go".

Apparantly if they don't get enough people to sign up, they cancel a day or two beforehand on the direct booked trips. He said this was a common occurance. I'm not saying that "that's the rule" but it could happen.

I never knew that you could book direct for so cheap ($55) for the 4 day (of diving) trip also. I saw last year or year before where Cap Rick was selling the December trip for about $500 direct, but it's colder then and competes with Christmas events, shopping, etc.

Where did you book through your LSD for $830? (what dive shop?) (just curious because my LSD is charging $870 + $40 for Nitrox).

QUETZAL:
I'm Going On This Trip 3-17-05 Anyone Have Any New Experiences To Add. Ps We Will Be Spearing And Lobster Hunting.

just got back on sunday. this was also a spearing / lobster trip. i'm more of a photo/video guy but it was a great trip just the same. the sites are a bit deeper and not as many "photo ops" unless you want photos of guys with BIG fish! i'll have more details in the next few days on www.piddlefish.com, but in summary; this is my 3rd trip with these folks and it only gets better.

1 50#+ black grouper
1 44# black grouper
3~4 30#+ black grouper
scads of gag groupers
wads of mutton and other snapper
loads of mango snappers
a couple of dozen lobster

also keep your fingers crossed for the 'shrimp boat trade' - fresh shirmp futtucini - yum yum

VIZ was not the best i've seen it there, but then again, that comment comes from a photo/video guy. the shooters had NO problem seeing plenty to 'AIM' at.

enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom