Dry Tortugas and Key West deep wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from yet another great trip out to the deep wrecks off the Dry Tortugas and Key West off the M/V SPREE. Great weather, good visibility, and lots of critters. Had the standard turtle and dolphin encounters, and also saw a lot of mahi and wahoo on deco (especially off Key West).

While I didn't take as many shots as usual, I did sneak in a few...

A couple shots of the USS WILKES BARRE:
060909a.jpg

060909b.jpg

Divers over the USS CURB:
060909c.jpg

Frolicking dolphins on the trawler TIKI II:
060909d.jpg

The twisted remains of the midship superstructure on the RHEIN:
060909e.jpg

Can't wait until next year!

Cheers,
Mike

Nice pics Mike....thanks for sharing them with us.

Good Diving,

I too was on this trip with Mike. He organizes a great deep wreck trip - Thanks again Mike!

I've been to Dry Tortugas many times, but this was my first time diving the deeper wrecks in this area. It was awesome diving non-artificial reefs with a bit of history!

As Mike mentioned, the weather really cooperated, and when you combine that with the rich blue water and abundant marine life in the Dry Tortugas, it made for one excellent week of diving!

The crew of the Spree also went out of their way to accomidate our heavy equipment and deeper diving logistical needs. The Spree is primarily a recreational diving liveaboard, but they are also provide nitrox to their divers, and will accomidate rebreather and technical diving needs with a bit of advance coordination. Definitely give the Spree consideration for your next livaboard trip, especially for you Floridians, because they're now based in Key West all year round.

Great pics Mike - I especially love the shot with the dolphins!!

Here's a few shots I managed to take on the trip.

Here's a shot of a large Goliath Grouper on the stern of the Araby Maid:
Araby_Maid_4351_06-03-2009_.jpg

Here's a shot of Jeff (SWADIVER) hovering over one set of the many big guns on the USS Wilkesbarre:
Spree_374.jpg

Here's a shot of the bow section of the U-2513 sub:
U-2513_4369_06-04-2009_.jpg

Here's a shot that shows the marine life at the top of the king posts on the Rein:
Rein_4184_06-02-2009_.jpg

Here's a shot of Brandon in full tech gear while on the deck of the USS Curb:
USS_Curb_4601_06-06-2009_.jpg

Here's a shot of bait fish swirling around the king posts on the Rein:
Rein_4155_06-02-2009_.jpg

And here's a shot of a couple of divers completing a long decompression after their dive on the USS Curb:
USS_Curb_IMG_4677a_06-06-2009_.jpg

Enjoy!

Adrian

Really nice pictures and thanks for sharing. I have a trip scheduled with the Spree
next month and I cannot wait. Did Flower Gardens last year with them and they
are outstanding!

Are there any dive operations that still dive these sites? I watched 2 of them on deep sea detectives (Rhein and U-2513). They both looked like awesome dives.

I'm going September 5-9. Same trip. 2 spots left, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom