Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving a DUI TLS350 SP (Special Production ie custom) for 7 years now. I like it so much I bought a second so I am never without one (I dive most every weekend- year round in it). I would strongly recommend going with the SP- its worth every penny.

SAH:
Are there any opinions about when to get a drysuit? I know that dove with a wetsuit for a year and had over 50 dives before switching to a drysuit. Having good buoyancy control is really necessary with a drysuit.

I have 22 dives logged since august and next week will buy my drysuit. Been diving with 7mm wetsuit + 5mm vest till now. Not sure if I have perfect buoyancy but is getting colder here. Last dive was 13ºC (55.4ºF) at bottom, enough for me :)

I'm female.

AAMOF, if you look at the pic in my profile, you'll see me doing my safety stop on the Thistlegorm in the Red Sea in (you guessed it) my DUI.

So yeah.. I think I kind of maybe perhaps know the diff between male & female. :joke:

Meanwhile, to smooth out some of the ruffled feathers here, I posed the question because frequently women who are new to diving get hung up on the "female specific" label. They don't scope out the products first to find out which one will give them the features they want; they're only interested in whether or not it's "female". Not all "female" products are the best in their line. Unfortunately a until quite recently, "female" translated to "smaller & pink" in scuba gear lingo.

SAH: my DUI 350TLS is custom as well, so I'm curious as to why you'd be having a "snug hip" problem. (Hey, I'm not exactly Calista Flockhart:wink:) Have you changed the heft of your undergarments?

SubMariner:
I'm female.

So yeah.. I think I kind of maybe perhaps know the diff between male & female. :joke:
:D I didn't look, nor did I assume one way or the other. But now knowing that you are female it's remedial education for you......... :eyebrow: I was thinking about taking a refresher course myself. :wink:

I was looking at a suit posted for sale. I don't have the funds to go out and buy a new suit and certainly not custom (I still need to buy everything else!!). But I think a drysuit would solve my desire to dive year round (if I can just find a hole to jump into in the winter in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana). What's the best way to tell if a ML will fit me or not? I think I'm at the top range of what's listed on the chart. I don't mind a snug fit, or an uncomfortable one either (heck, I could even tolerate some decent pain) if it means I can dive. Can I try renting a DUI somewhere to see if an ML would fit?

SubMariner:
Unfortunately a until quite recently, "female" translated to "smaller & pink" in scuba gear lingo.
Are you talking about the Mobbys I rented for my first dry suit dives? For those of you who don't know - i even posted some photos - I also don't have a dry suit of my own and I in fact borrowed one from a friend - it's bright blue and pink. But in fact the cut and the size were absolutely perfect.
But the colors... I felt like a Barbie :D
We don't have DUI here - well we have but they are extremely expensive. So I'm considering two options - Northern Diver or Gates. Both do have female ones and the cut as well as fitting is much better than the male ones ( I already tried both). Still have to wait for the beginning of the next year to buy one - the lack of funds.
Mania

pennypue:
:D I didn't look, nor did I assume one way or the other. But now knowing that you are female it's remedial education for you......... :eyebrow: I was thinking about taking a refresher course myself. :wink:

I was looking at a suit posted for sale. I don't have the funds to go out and buy a new suit and certainly not custom (I still need to buy everything else!!). But I think a drysuit would solve my desire to dive year round (if I can just find a hole to jump into in the winter in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana). What's the best way to tell if a ML will fit me or not? I think I'm at the top range of what's listed on the chart. I don't mind a snug fit, or an uncomfortable one either (heck, I could even tolerate some decent pain) if it means I can dive. Can I try renting a DUI somewhere to see if an ML would fit?

DUI has "Demo Days" throughout the country several times a year. They are a geat opportunity to get fitted for and try out several different suits types made by DUI. Otherwise, on the fit question, the best determinant would be to try on the suits you are looking at. Each manufacturer sizes differently, so a M/L in one most likely will not fit the same as another brand. Also- you need to be sized for the fit of the suit with the heaviest undergarment you will be wearing.

SubMariner:
I'm female.

AAMOF, if you look at the pic in my profile, you'll see me doing my safety stop on the Thistlegorm in the Red Sea in (you guessed it) my DUI.

Meanwhile, to smooth out some of the ruffled feathers here, I posed the question because frequently women who are new to diving get hung up on the "female specific" label. They don't scope out the products first to find out which one will give them the features they want; they're only interested in whether or not it's "female". Not all "female" products are the best in their line. Unfortunately a until quite recently, "female" translated to "smaller & pink" in scuba gear lingo.

SAH: my DUI 350TLS is custom as well, so I'm curious as to why you'd be having a "snug hip" problem. (Hey, I'm not exactly Calista Flockhart:wink:) Have you changed the heft of your undergarments?

I could probably loosen up the waist and that would give me a little more room. Just an observation on my part. I would prefer a bit more room in the hips and less in the bust. Overall it works, I'm happy with my DUI and I haven't gone back to th my 7mil wetsuit. The differenc between the fit of a truly custom fit and the DUI Custom are those little things.

chickdiver:
DUI has "Demo Days" throughout the country several times a year. They are a geat opportunity to get fitted for and try out several different suits types made by DUI. Otherwise, on the fit question, the best determinant would be to try on the suits you are looking at. Each manufacturer sizes differently, so a M/L in one most likely will not fit the same as another brand. Also- you need to be sized for the fit of the suit with the heaviest undergarment you will be wearing.
a thong? <giggle, snort, giggle>
Just kidding. Can I find demo days on their site? I need one. Can they teach me to use it too? :D oh, and what the heck, while we're working on my wishlist, can I do nitrox at the same time. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom