Dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another UK diver - you'll find the drysuit a HUGE improvment, even in the summer months like now.

Pros and cons...

Pros:- Its warmer. MUCH warmer. It'll make the dives and surface intervals much more comfortable.

Cons:- It'll take a little while to get used to driving the thing, the first few times will feel clumsy.

Are you BSAC or PADI ? If its the former, they have a dry suit training scheme (free) that your branch can show you. If its PADI afaik they have a dry suit speciality which is sometimes included in suit price. The 3rd method is what i did and had 2 pool sessions with an experienced club member followed by a few "hand holding" dives buddied with them.

Whatever method you choose, some form of training is highly recommended.

I had the opposite to you, until i went abroad this year id NEVER dived wet. I learnt in the UK in a dry suit and have done all my dives dry. Putting on a 5mm wet suit abroad felt strangely restrictive although MUCH easier to dive in when i got used to it.

Get some pool practice in dealing with inversions, simulate jammed inflator valves, experiment with trim and so on. If needed, practice the tuck rolls without the suit first to get the hang of them. Practice these many times (at least an hour preferably longer) and then ask an experienced diver to buddy you on some simple shallow open water dives initially.

You'll need to do some weight checks as im guessing you're moving from a 7mm+7mm semi dry so your weight requirements will be different.

It maybe wise to re-visit controlled buoyant lifts as both victim and rescuer as the dry suit complicates matters slightly, especially if the "victim" has a cuff dump on their suit. It pays to be familiar with the equipment of the person that may need rescuing.
For example here, a rescuer could have to deal with 4 sources of expanding air, their own dry suit and BC and the victims BC and dry suit.

Try and avoid ankle weights unless you absolutely have to. After a while you'll instictively notice the floaty feet sensation and deal with it before it results in an inversion.

Is your suit neoprene or membrane ? Does it have an auto dump or a cuff dump ?

The BSAC drysuit course notes are online (2 lectures, 1 handout and instructor notes). I found them here:

http://www.diveinstruct.org.uk/downloads3/Drysuit Course.zip

If nothing else, it'll give you an idea of what to expect but DONT just read these and do it yourself...

Regarding buoyancy, BSAC and PADI both teach for a standard single setup using the suit exclusively for buoyancy control and the BC purely as a backup and surface flotation aid. Provided the diver is correctly weighted there is no problem with this method and for a beginning it means less juggling with 2 different expanding air sources in an ascent - KISS etc etc.
You should find with correct weighting, just enough to take the squeeze off should put you about neutral anyway - you should have no air bubbles visible and moving in the suit - if there are, you're over weighted.
The alternative is to use the suit to remove squeeze and the BC for buoyancy control. I suggest you try both several times and decide which you feel happier with and stick to it - there is no right or wrong in this. You'll only get problems if you regulary use both methods and get confused one day.

There was good advice about the neck seal, if it feels too tight and restrictive, it probably IS too tight and needs adjusting. The same goes for wrist seals, ive seen a diver with swollen hands as a result of a wrist seal being too tight - they dont HAVE to be that tight to stop water entry !

Hi String,
I am PADI trained so it will be the specilty couse for me :)

"You'll need to do some weight checks as im guessing you're moving from a 7mm+7mm semi dry so your weight requirements will be different" no I have a 5mm full length and 5mm shorty wetsuit in fresh water i need 6kg but dive with 8kg ( 6 kg i usually take off from the bottom with empty bcd) and 14kg for salt

"Is your suit neoprene or membrane ? Does it have an auto dump or a cuff dump ?"
I think its membrane forgot what he said it was :(, it has got auto cuff dump.
"
There was good advice about the neck seal, if it feels too tight and restrictive, it probably IS too tight and needs adjusting. The same goes for wrist seals, ive seen a diver with swollen hands as a result of a wrist seal being too tight - they dont HAVE to be that tight to stop water entry "

I have tried the suit on in the shop, as to the neck and wrist seals its hard to tell how tight they where, the instructor was watch me to see if i was turning red :), unfortuantly I have an internal heat problem in my head, my face was already red before i got into the suit, but i did not pass out :) so it must be ok

5mm+5mm in UK waters. Thats err brave !
For what its worth i use 12kg in the sea, no idea what i use in fresh as ive never dived it. I think its supposed to be -3kg roughly

I think its membrane forgot what he said it was , it has got auto cuff dump.

Im confused now, afaik an auto cuff dump doesnt exist (if it does ive never seen or heard of one). Cuff dumps are manual, you raise your arm to dump. Every auto dump ive seen is located on the shoulder. There are a few good reasons for this.

the instructor was watch me to see if i was turning red

Its not red you need to worry about, its blue. You really shouldnt feel as if theres any tension around your neck at all with the seal. If you do, think how uncomfortable it'll be after 7 hours of constant wearing on a boat.

Wasn't "huggy bear" the pimp from "Starski and Hutch"?? So now he's designing drysuit underwear?:D

Possibly but i believe he means an "Uggi Bear" undersuit. :)

Quite common around here (Oceanic i believe).

You tend to see those, Weezles (like mine!), and Thinsulates of different gauges on a dive boat.

hi, sorry i ment uggi bear under suit :)
late nights again :)

Diving dry to me was like leaning to dive all over again but with use, you will get the bouyancy and weighting down soon enough. Intitially the biggest problem I had was controlling bouyancy. PADI says to use your BC only on the surface and control underwater with your drysuit. Many dry suit divers, myself included, use their BC as a BC and inflate their drysuit to eliminate squeeze. I find it easier and don't have that air bubble travelling up and down the body when you change positions. Its all a matter of preference - theres an ongoing debate whether to use BC or the drysuit for bouyancy underwater. Try one or the other and see what works best for you. The other is trim with a drysuit - I find that when diving dry you have to distribute weight much more evenly than wet. In my case, I went from using a weightbelt to a weight harness to a weighted backplate and will soon be woithout any ditchable weight.

Diving dry is great and now I am looking at some lightweight drysuits for warm water diving. Gone are the days when I have to put on a clammy wetsuit for a second dive when that happens!

dive safe

Hi string, thanks for the notes :)

MASS-Diver Yup, what used to get me was getting back into the suit for a second dive on a chilly day.

Hi mass, I leave mine zipped up on a cold day :wink:

Well - its been a long 7 weeks.... and dangit I'll hafta wait another few days... But come heck or high water (perhaps it should deep/cold water???) yes I think so... Come heck or cold water - I'll be diving dry next weekend... Can they make it any more agonizing than to tease you with demo days and all the nice slick advertising....!

The light at the end of the tunnel (CLX450) is in sight...!

:mdance:

^---- Me next weekend!

Just got my first Dry suit myself to take dry suit course with. Looking forward to saying goodbye to cold wet suit dives. Anyone know if Helli Hanson one piece long underwear would work well with a pinnacle black ice dry suit ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom