Dry suits: What kind and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingmob3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Every job has a tool, and I want to know why you use what you do:
For my Dry suit course I used an older O'Neill Neoprene suit, the model had a preformed foot that i did not particularly enjoy that led to a not quite frog kick in an effort to avoid the odd squeeze it got when you're feet were below you're shoulders(Its been changed,the newer design from them does not have it). It probably wan not the best time of the year for the class ( middle of June in Chicago) but when I got the the bottom of the quarry it was worth it.
What I'd like to know:
Maker:
Model:
Material(s):
Primary use(s):
Why did you choose this type of suit over another type of construction:
Thanks!
Allen

*EDIT TO ADD* As of right now most(if not all) of my Diving is in Quarry's, or Lake Michigan, so 1) Cold water, regardless of year (only the top 10 feet of the lake get above 60ish regularly) 2)High organic matter content(got to keep the gear real clean) , once I get to an acceptable level of experience, most of my regular diving will be wreck.
Thanks again!

oddly enough you're linked search brought up this:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
:D
Thanks for trying to help, and I'll be sure to search FIRST next time!
Allen

Here are a few posts that might help.

One

Two

Three

I agree, the topside logistics of summertime drysuit diving can be challenging. Even getting in the water can be slow relief. In my wetsuit I can dump a liter of water down the collar and be comforted.

I have a 7mm neoprene dry suit and it's affordable and warm. Since it's buoyancy rebounds with a vengeance near the surface I end up with more weight than I'd like to have but that's something of a trade-off for being cozy. Most of my dives are recreational open water shore dives.

This post was very influential in my decision.

With some experience under my belt I'm open to moving to a laminate bag suit at some point.

Pete

Thanks for the links guys, this is going to take a whole lot of work ( which is worth it!), but thankfully I won't be looking at an end decision until the spring (in theory).
After reading Thal's post on the matter, I realize that this would help:
From my first post ( I added it )
As of right now most(if not all) of my Diving is in Quarry's, or Lake Michigan, so 1) Cold water, regardless of year (only the top 10 feet of the lake get above 60ish regularly) 2)High organic matter content(got to keep the gear real clean) , once I get to an acceptable level of experience, most of my regular diving will be wreck.
[/QUOTE}
Thanks again!
Allen

As of right now most(if not all) of my Diving is in Quarry's, or Lake Michigan, so 1) Cold water, regardless of year (only the top 10 feet of the lake get above 60ish regularly) 2)High organic matter content(got to keep the gear real clean) , once I get to an acceptable level of experience, most of my regular diving will be wreck.
A "Viking Style" suit would be my first thought which would still serve you well for wrecks (though if you want to "fit in," the non-DIR wreck diving crowd are likely diving crushed neoprene DUI suits and the DIR crowd are more likely to be diving tri-laminates).

Maker: DUI
Model:CLx450 sign suit. W/zip seals
Material(s): Cordua top and bottom W/knee pads out of kevlar
Primary use(s): Wreck diving
Why did you choose this type of suit over another type of construction:
Cold lake Michigan water with lots of sharp metal from the wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom