Dry suits - old dogs and new tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, after 1,100 odd dives in wet suits, rashies, T-shirts, and a few bare chested, I finally did my first ever dive in a dry suit.

I was in Cyprus diving on the Zenobia (trip report is here, if anyone is interested), and after day one I felt like a few degrees away from hypothermia (my dive computer said the water was 61 degrees, but for someone who has almost exclusively dived in the Caribbean, I felt ready for my ice diver certification). So we took a day off from deep wrecks to learn how to use a dry suit.

I had always been shy about learning to use a dry suit, even in colder waters (I occasionally dive in Seattle) because I had always been told that it was hard to teach old dogs new tricks, and experienced divers often really struggled with bouyancy and trim. I had been regaled with stories about otherwise experienced divers making uncontrolled feet first ascents to the surface when using dry suits for the first time.

I have to say that with hindsight that all seemed like a bit of scaremongering. Getting the weighting right was a bit of a challenge (I was a little bit shocked at how much weight I needed), but after that, so long as you stayed horizontal, it didn't really really seem that hard to keep trim and neutrally bouyant. Going up and down the line in a vertical position was more challenging, as you seem to get disproportionate squeeze on your legs, and it creates much more pressure on the dump and/or neck seal. But it is not actually that hard to ascend and descend in the horizontal position, and it seems a much more sensible approach to me (whatever the PADI manual might say).

But what really astonished me was just how warm it was. On my first day we did two half hour dives in full 10mm wetsuits, and in each case after 15 minutes I was really not having much fun. And don't get me started on the surface interval. On day two, in a dry suit, coming out of the water after 40 minutes I was ready for more (my second dive in the dry suit I lect the hood and gloves behind because I was that warm). The surface interval is a great deal more pleasant too. My overwhelming thought (apart from wanting to get back on the Zenobia asap) was: "Wow, if only more people knew how great drysuits were, there would be so much more cold water diving".

Now I am just looking forward to my next trip to Seattle, and thinking afresh about making a trip to Scapa Flow...

Well Congratulations on making the jump to the dry side. I Got my drysuit in October and took the class the same day I got it. I then used it in Pennsylvania, where the water was about 48 at the 85' depth I went to. I have been in water that cold here in NY, but generally just stayed away from diving when it was that cold. (My 5mm Instadry was warm, but not that warm. I can now say that unless the water here in NY gets up to 70, I will not do anything but a drysuit.

I am new to diving (only 35 or so dives) and I said I wasn't going to go to a drysuit, but when I was getting ready to go to Pennsylvania a few people told me I would want one for that. I am glad I did it, and actually find it much easier to control buoyancy when diving dry as opposed to wet. I was surprised at how much weight I needed as well (38 lbs) but that I was also using an AL80. I am waiting to pick up some steel LP112's this week. They just came back from hydro/vis and have been O2 cleaned. That should help cut some weight off as well.

I am now just waiting to get back in the water here, hopefully the end of next month I will get in.

Wow. I can count the number of dives I've done ABOVE 61 F on one hand. And even then I was in a drysuit.

The number of people I see try and dive out here in wetsuits astounds me, with bottom temps averaging 55F in the summer and 45F in the winter. Yes, some people really make the wetsuits work, but the one or 2 who dive regularly in wetsuits are actually super-human. And very, very cheap, considering a good cold water wet suit is ~$700 and a good used drysuit is about $800-$1000.

Congrats on the new skill!

VI

I have to say that with hindsight that all seemed like a bit of scaremongering. Getting the weighting right was a bit of a challenge (I was a little bit shocked at how much weight I needed), but after that, so long as you stayed horizontal, it didn't really really seem that hard to keep trim and neutrally bouyant.

On day two, in a dry suit, coming out of the water after 40 minutes I was ready for more (my second dive in the dry suit I lect the hood and gloves behind because I was that warm). The surface interval is a great deal more pleasant too. My overwhelming thought (apart from wanting to get back on the Zenobia asap) was: "Wow, if only more people knew how great drysuits were, there would be so much more cold water diving".

Now I am just looking forward to my next trip to Seattle, and thinking afresh about making a trip to Scapa Flow...

Thanks for the objective and positive report! I completely agree: diving dry is wonderful!

I'm glad you've counter-balanced the scaremongering that goes on regarding learning to dive dry! IMHO, it's quite easy for an experienced diver to adapt to using a drysuit, just as you have!

You've also pointed out how diving dry can greatly expand one's possibilities!

Congrats and enjoy! :)

Dave C

I bought my first dry suit for Ice Diving and other winter dives.

When doing check-out dives with students during the spring and summer I always felt that I should wear my wet suit (same as the students) to demonstrate the easiest way to get your wet suit on and off, etc.........I was always fine for the first dive of the day but would really get cold on multiple dives.

I feel my dry suit really helps me stay warmer on multiple dives and I also like being dressed and dry after diving and do not need to change out of a cold wet suit at the end of the day.

I am now almost to the point of diving in either a swim suit or my dry suit............if the water is too cold to just wear a swim suit I will wear my dry suit and just wear shorts and a tee shirt, long pants and shirt, or thermals depending on the water temp.

I did a week of diving dry in 80 degree water in the Red Sea last fall. I came away from it wondering why anyone EVER dives wet, when it's possible to be so comfortable, both during the dive AND afterwards in the boat. When everyone else climbed out the water and shivered in the wind, I unzipped my dry suit and stepped out in my shorts and t-shirt to bask in the sun.

Rhone Man, next trip to Seattle, get in touch! We'll take you out on the boat.

Yes, some people really make the wetsuits work, but the one or 2 who dive regularly in wetsuits are actually super-human. And very, very cheap, considering a good cold water wet suit is ~$700 and a good used drysuit is about $800-$1000.

Congrats on the new skill!

VI

My Bare Artic Combo, a 7mm full with a 7mm over-shorty w/hood, works Very well in cold water (I've had it down to 40deg in Lake Huron) and only set me back $279...

I suppose if I bought a Semi-dry, in-store as opposed to online, I could spend $700 or more... but being Frugal I've opted for something for less than half as much.

I did a week of diving dry in 80 degree water in the Red Sea last fall. I came away from it wondering why anyone EVER dives wet, when it's possible to be so comfortable, both during the dive AND afterwards in the boat. When everyone else climbed out the water and shivered in the wind, I unzipped my dry suit and stepped out in my shorts and t-shirt to bask in the sun.

Rhone Man, next trip to Seattle, get in touch! We'll take you out on the boat.

Lynne,

Did you use the same dry suit in the Red Sea that you use in PNW? I have been considering diving dry in warmer weather but did not know if I needed a new suit or just change the undergarments of my old one. BTW, what kinds of undergarments does one wear in warm water dry suit diving?

I used my Fusion, with a pair of Land's End Polarfleece sweats under it. Worked great! It was such a treat to do an 80+ minute dive, and get out of the water just as warm and comfortable as I went into it. I did one dive wet, got out and shivered in the wind, and said, "Never again!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom