Dry Suits and Skinny Wrists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloned_person

Registered
Reaction score
My dry suit is fine, except where I clench my fist to hold a torch, the tendon movement causes channels that break the seal. I have had the suit pressure tested and it is fine.

I know the obvious solutions are

a) new seals, the ones I have got are very tight

b) dry gloves - maybe but I would rather see if there are other fixes out there

A couple of possibles I was given were rubber bands over the wrists seals, or use duck tape and tape the seals to your wrist - removal would be fun.

Any thoughts ideas or what has worked for you, a damp arm are no fun.

cloned_person:
My dry suit is fine, except where I clench my fist to hold a torch, the tendon movement causes channels that break the seal. I have had the suit pressure tested and it is fine.

I know the obvious solutions are

a) new seals, the ones I have got are very tight

b) dry gloves - maybe but I would rather see if there are other fixes out there

A couple of possibles I was given were rubber bands over the wrists seals, or use duck tape and tape the seals to your wrist - removal would be fun.

Any thoughts ideas or what has worked for you, a damp arm are no fun.

bell shaped or tapered?

I have had much better luck with the tapered heavier weight seals (Viking Pros are the best I have found) You can try positioning the seal further up your arm above the wrist if you are adamant about not using dry gloves but some thin dry gloves would be a good "dry" option if you are not able to get a seal.

Do not use duct tape on your seal in addition to being hard to remove in an emergency they are going to make a mess of your seals quickly...

Jeff Lane

LOL- I have the same problem. When you find the solution, let me know! One thing that has helped me- I pull the seals farther back on my wristmaybe an inch to an inch and a half fromt he actual joint. It helps, but it isn't a cure.

I vote for
b) dry gloves
I like coming out of the water with dry hands and I don’t like the pressure from the seals on my wrist tendons.

I’ve used Diving Concepts dry gloves for a little over a year; rings installed without maintaining the wrist seal. The only complaint that I have is they can be very difficult to break the ring seal to get them off. If a glove is punctured or otherwise leaks I’ll get a bit of a flood, but so far that hasn’t happened. This would be more of a concern for deco or overhead diving.

I have a set of Nordic Blue dry gloves on order that seem to be easier to get off.

Mike

Using a neoprene "wrist band" will help get a seal, you fold your cuff back, slip on the band & flop the seal back over it. It's an easy DIY project; find some 1/8" material & just make your own. skin 2 sides is the best, though skin 1 side works if you double it over so the skin is out.
You may wind up needing to trim the cuffs more.
Adding a very light weight (like the EMT style) rubber glove with the wrist band underneath will give "frogbutt tight" leakage protection. Wetsuit gloves over the top rounds out the trick.

or... there's always the Viking - Si Tech glove & ring kits, check out the classified ad section here for pics.

Back
Top Bottom