Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848:
I found this on the web, and was wondering if it was accurate, and if it is, why doesn't everyone have a vulcanized rubber dry suit?

Types of Dry Suits
Closed cell Neoprene—Wet suit material Great Stretch, Very Buoyant Requires significant weight, compresses at depth, glued seams can separate, cells break down
Repair with neoprene cement, life of 300 dives.

Crushed Neoprene—Wet suit material, but compressed Coated with Nylon for strength, Maintains stretch, No cell breakdown Glued & Stitched seams breakdown and leak. Complete drying required before repair, Life of 5 years.

Fabric Material—Nylon Ballistic nylon with waterproof backing, little stretch, comfortable latex seals More air space, more weight required, welded seams require factory repair. Factory Repair required, 5 year Life.

Vulcanized Rubber Inflatable Boat Material—synthetic and natural rubber combination (all natural rubber balloons), Bonded with heat and pressure—eliminates seams except at wrist and neck, good stretch for close fit. Repair like an inter-tube, 10-15 year life expectancy.

What a load of BS. Regardless of where you got this, It's BS.

I've seen more rubber suits wear out than all of the others combined. My first TLS350 Circa 1988 is still in good shape and the current owner has it ready to go anyday. I've seen Crushed Neoprene (CF200) suits that are 15 years old with literally thousands of commercial dives on them still going. Same with old neoprene suits. I've seen 7-10 y/o rubber suits eaten by ozone to the point that they are sticky.

My point is, do thorough research, don't believe everything you read and buy the suit that's right for you.

Dave

I have Three DUI CF200's and they are the best Dry Suits I have ever worn. I have started diving with "Skin both sides" which means that there is no Nylon covering the neoprene. I have also dove and worked in the old MK5 helmet and breastplate. I have owned many, MANY suits. From Posidien to Nokia (Hazzardous "plastic") suits to Viking and even a Dry Diving Systems (which is now KME diving systems).
Not that they are the toughest suit on the market, which I believe it is, the way it moves WITH the diver is the best. Instead of the arm and undergarmet slipping under the suit so the diver can bend arms and legs the suit streaches. This is a very big deal. Sure, the latex seals are the weakest point of a suit like this. Even the cuffs and neck seals are very durable.
The cross chest zipper is the best method to enter a suit that I have ever used. The most comfortable was the MK 5 for enjoyable necks. The MK 5 Yokohama dress is the most flexable.
Compared to all the rest of the suits I've used, the CF200 is the best and when I first dove the suit I could hardly believe I was in a suit! I guess that this means that I like the suits with crushed Neoprene. Bill

dilligaf368:
I have Three DUI CF200's and they are the best Dry Suits I have ever worn.

Why 3?

theskull:
For redundancy. You can peel them off one at a time if they should get punctured and flood.

:crafty:

theskull

LOL ... can you imagine the amount of weight to get down :)

Back
Top Bottom