Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
OK, since I'm from KC, what kinds of dry suits do most of you use and why. I'm tired of waiting for warm water to go diving, it is killing me. I need water year round, and the wife won't give up her life in the wonderful state of Kansas :confined:

DUI CF200 Signature Series, Attached Hood, Latex Seals, Zipper pockets on both thighs, Rockboots, and Kevlar knees.

CF200 - Crushed neoprene is increadibly durable, my diving is doing alot of commercial work in harbors and rough places along with teaching diving and I'm just generally hard on equipment.

Signature Series, I'm 5'8" 210 and have short legs big shoulders not an off the rack size and if you want options on a custom suit you might as well go signature.

Attached neoprene hood, warmer, less water around the neck more comfortable and I never forget it.

Latex seals - I cannot wear an neoprene neck, my neck is too short. I actually went with the neoprene wrists until they stretched out then put on latex. Neo vs Latex wrists aren't a big deal for me either is fine.

Zipper pockets - love them

Rockboots - For Alaskan beach diving they are great. Turbosoles are ok but rockboots are better. Even so, I'm about to wear out my second pair in 6 years.

Kevlar knees - it's a worksuit so I need the protection in the knees.

My latest suit is 3 years old and has about somewhere close to 300 hard dives on it. It looks almost brand new.

Dave

I dive a Bare XCD2 Tech compressed neoprene dry suit that I got from Divetank.com. My dive buddy dives a Bare Nex-Gen, also from Divetank.com. I paid about $1,100 for mine, he paid about $600 for his. Both of us really like are suits and the prices and return policy were very appealling. I highly recommend giving Richard at divetank.com a call (877) 886-1133 x 1. Great service and the best return policy I have ever seen anywhere for a drysuit. Check out their website and then give Richard a call.

I'll be diving the great lakes and just went with a dui clx450 with the cordura top and bottom. rock boots, latex wrists and neoprene neck. i went custom because i'm tall and because by the time i added the larger foot pockets and a few accessories it ended up being cheaper anyway.

Once you've spent the money on the suit once, you are allowed to dive it as often as you want. So as with all major SCUBA purchases, buy the best quality you are willing to afford.

My personal favorites are the DUI and White's suits, but any suit that will keep you dry and fit well with good durability will do the job. Nearly as important as the suit is a set of good quality undergarments, so again, don't scrimp.

Visit your local dive operators and see who treats you the way you want to be treated. Ideally, they can rent one to you or get you a loaner so you can try it out before buying. You will need a pool session and probably a DS specialty class before most will allow you to dive a suit you don't own.

There are alot of choices in terms of brand, material, and model, and none of those choices are wrong if you end up satisfied. Talk over the options with the LDS--and make sure you speak to the shop owner or most experienced dry diver, not just whomever is working the counter that day.

Good luck with your purchase. Contact me sometime this summer and meet me half-way for some dives together in Table Rock?

theskull

I dive a tri-lam suit and I'm very happy with it. Others will swear by the crushed or compressed neo which I don't have any experience with. The tri-lam is light, drys fast, and easy to use different undergarments depending on conditions.

A DUI day is a great option for trying different kinds of suits. I don't know if there's any of them going on right now or not.
Good luck

ozarkjim:
DUI Dog Days April 15-17 Beaver Lake Dam and April 22-24 Bonne Terre Mine.
Details at http://www.dui-online.com/dog_main_2005.html

One of these events is definitely the way to go. Not that you will necessarily buy a DUI, but for a very small entry fee you will get a chance to dive 2 or 3 suits over the weekend and make your own comparisons. They will have trilam, crushed neoprene, and the popular cordura trilam available. You will also get to try out a couple different undergarments--thinsulate, polartech, lightweight or heavyweight.

As a bonus, they usually have trials available of digital cameras, BCs, etc.

theskull

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I may just have to do the DUI dog days at Beaver. Does anyone know if I have to be dry suit certified to go to the dog days?

joedelt:
I'll be diving the great lakes and just went with a dui clx450 with the cordura top and bottom. rock boots, latex wrists and neoprene neck. i went custom because i'm tall and because by the time i added the larger foot pockets and a few accessories it ended up being cheaper anyway.

I am getting ready to order a Signature Series CLX450 with all cordura. I currently have a TLS350.

People have been making comments about the 450 being stiff and taking a long time to dry. What do you have to say about these issues, particularly the stiffness?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom