dry suit zippers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabat:
Should the drysuit zipper be left open or closed when stored? and why?

If it's in the bag, I leave it closed. If it's at home, it's open and hanging up. I leave it open when hanging to help get rid of any moisture that might be in the suit. But don't ask me, I haven't been diving a drysuit very long....

Darin

After reading many posts about this matter, I closed the outside zipper and leave the inner zipper open when stored and hung on the rack.

Open. It's more flexible and hence less likely to get accidently damaged, and the rubber lips which actually make the seal are relaxed so they won't take a set.

There are a lot of things in diving you can argue either way, but this is not one of them.

I always zip about 5 inches closed near the shoulder and leave the rest unzipped. Ther reason? The first few inches are where increased weight / pressure is put on the suit due to hanging on the hanger. Depending on the suit, it may even be bent over the hanger a bit. Zipping those few inches give the suit and zipper more strength and durability.

FWIW - I was also taught to fold the suit for bag storage with the zipper open and positioned so it will be on the outside of the folded zuit. This will still allow breathability.

Paula

Thanks for the info. The instructions said hang with zip open but I seem to remember my previous drysuit saying hang with zip closed. Was just wondering the pros and cons.

Back
Top Bottom