Dry suit zipper care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I leave my zipper open as i store it in a cool place,but how many times do you put wax on the zipper,after each dive ? Just like to make it last as long as i can,
Thanks

moneysavr:
I leave my zipper open as i store it in a cool place,but how many times do you put wax on the zipper,after each dive ? Just like to make it last as long as i can,
Thanks

I wax my zipper after each day of diving.

R..

moneysavr:
Thanks

I have posted about this experience a few times recently but if it helps you save some money....

I had to get my zipper replaced after 150 dives. There are 2 sets of teeth (4 individual zippers) on a dry suit zipper. The obvious larger teeth on the top of the suit and smaller teeth inside the suit about 1/4" into the suit. You can only access the smaller set of teeth with the zipper open. It is very important to wax these smaller teeth as well as the larger teeth on top.

Having this experience I wax my zipper before every dive.

--Matt

Generally when I remember I wax my zipper after I clean the suit and it's had time to dry.
I wax it with the Zipper open and I store it that way.

matt_unique:
It is very important to wax these smaller teeth as well as the larger teeth on top.--Matt
Interesting. . . My (DUI) dry suit Owner’s Manual says “Never lubricate the inside teeth as wax and dirt buildup can occur, attracting dirt particles that will prevent a proper seal and cause leaking.” Maybe not all zippers are created equal.

It is true that you are not supposed to lubricate inside teeth for the reason mentioned by knotical. Also, it is not needed since you are lubricating to allow the traveller to move more easily and it makes no contact with the inside teeth.

knotical:
Interesting. . . My (DUI) dry suit Owner’s Manual says “Never lubricate the inside teeth as wax and dirt buildup can occur, attracting dirt particles that will prevent a proper seal and cause leaking.” Maybe not all zippers are created equal.

Interesting posts. The repair tech who replaced my zipper said a lack of waxing this zipper leads to reduced zipper life. I will send him another email to be certain.

--Matt

I recently read the DUI manual and was perplexed by the suggestion as well. I have been waxing the heck out of both sides and storing it with the zipper open. That's what I learned to do in my dry suit class. I don't know who to believe. For now though, I will go with the DUI manual. Perhaps it would be better to wax it while the zipper is CLOSED and then OPEN the zipper before storing it?

I'll throw a twist in here. The instruction booklet that came with my Diving Concepts Ultraflex Pro dry suit says to only use the liquid style zipper wax and only use the other style of hard wax in an emergency if the liquid stuff isnt available. It also says to use the liquid stuff on the inside and outside of the zipper. Just as a precaution i also had my suit made with the heavy duty zipper option that is very nice but cost me my other arm and leg as that sucker was not cheap.

Dryglove:
I'll throw a twist in here. The instruction booklet that came with my Diving Concepts Ultraflex Pro dry suit says to only use the liquid style zipper wax and only use the other style of hard wax in an emergency if the liquid stuff isnt available. It also says to use the liquid stuff on the inside and outside of the zipper. Just as a precaution i also had my suit made with the heavy duty zipper option that is very nice but cost me my other arm and leg as that sucker was not cheap.

The goal, people, is to ensure that the zipper doesn't jam and damage itself. It should open and close smoothly and it doesn't seem to matter how you achieve that.

Personally I use beeswax. I just rub it on the zipper with the zipper open. I use enough that some of the wax gets between the teeth and then when I'm finished I open and close the zipper a couple of times to work it in.

R..

Back
Top Bottom