dry suit wrist seal questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have thin wrists and a dry suit with latex seals. Water leaks in.

I could try having smaller seals put on or go to a dry glove system.

Are there any other options.

My wife was in the same boat she has a small neck.
Got her A Bio Seal , they worked a treat.
Apollo also do Wrist seals in the same material.

Also a couple of rubber bands work wonders

Did you your drysuit used with seals that were already cut, or did you cut the seals too much initially?

There are a few types of latex seals out there. Some start out with an extremely small diameter opening (and actually have a warning from the manufacturer that you should trim them before attempting to try them on) and others have much less tapering from the beginning.

If you did start out with seals that had been trimmed by a previous owner, you could just have new seals installed and cut them to the correct diameter. This should not be a problem, thin wrists not withstanding, if you have the very small initial diameter seals installed.

Good luck to you. I used to have leaky neoprene wrist seals on my old suit and it is such a relief to finish a dive and acutally have dry arms. Being dry is one of the major draws of buying a drysuit in the first place!

gcbryan once bubbled...
I have thin wrists and a dry suit with latex seals. Water leaks in.

I could try having smaller seals put on or go to a dry glove system.

Are there any other options.

I'd recommend the dry glove system. Dry gloves rule. I don't particularly like (too) tight seals. They hurt.

The old timers used to wrap a bit of shammy (chamois) around their wrists before putting the suit on. The shammy absorbs a bit of water, expands and closes the seal. I've tried this and it does work.

R..

Dry gloves make the most sense. The sets I use have a ring that installs in the existing seal and the glove has a matching ring that connects to the one on the suit.

With dry gloves you normally use a piece of latex tubing to allow air from the suit under the seal and into the glove so that it can equalize. Altrnatively, you can put the insulating glove on first then insert your hand in the seal so that the glove liner is under the seal which allows air to flow under the seal. In either case a slightly too large seal is not a problem with this system.

I went to the dry-glove ring system as well...

My wrists are not all that skinny, but when I make a fist, a long, shallow channel forms on the inside of my wrist from the tendons tightning up and water would come in there...

I know, the solution is to push the seals farther up my arm but then I got cold wrists as well as cold hands. ;(

The second reason is that after a cold water dive, my knuckles would hurt for a day or so from the cold soaking. I HATE that. With dry-gloves, I've never felt it since.

I have the same problem.....when I grip or flex my hands....a channel of water flows in and soaks my undergarment. I have the dry gloves also.....mine don't have a seal around the wrist....continuous from shoulder to ringed glove (DUI).

When caving, I switch to conventional seal and I just push the seal up on my arm farther and wear wetsuit gloves with the fingers cut out. I wear the gloves with an elastic band so that the stiffness of the glove's wrist holds the seal up. I can't take credit for the idea.....Dick Long of DUI suggested it to me at a Dog Demo a couple years ago and it works fairly well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom