Dry suit valve sets and placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbm

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a drysuit and, since all my time underwater has been spent wet, I am again looking to this board for assistance. I will preface my questions by saying that my diving till now has been recreational, but I am now leaning towards technical diving. The drysuit in question will be used with both a jacket style BC and BP and wings.

With help of several members of this board, I have selected a custom BARE TRILAM ATR HD. My two questions refer to valve sets:

1) I have a choice between SI-TECH or DSV valves. Any insights as which are better??

2) The default placement of the inflator valve is center chest.
The default placement of the exhaust valve is the left upper arm.
Is there any advantage to having these valves positioned otherwise??

Appreciate and input! Thanks in advance!

regards; jbm

Si Tech invented the variable exhaust valve, all others are just copies. They also have customer support that's nothing less than spetacular.
In general, they're also more problem free than others.

The valve placement is pretty standard; some folks have been going with the exhaust on the forearm but I've always found that even the little Draeger button valves get in the way if you're handeling stuff.

I'll second Bob3's comments on the Si-Tech, and also concur with the placement.
One note regarding Bare, I have an older Bare ATR and the exhaust valve is placed too low on the upper arm. Instead of being on the outer part of the arm, its over my bicep. I have seen the majority of Bare's valves in the same spot. It works, but takes some arm twisting sometimes.

I would question your source on exact placement being used now. Althought the forearm dump is kind of catching on with some folks here, I would have to reserve judgement until I could dive one.

MD

I like Si Tech valves just fine, but have never been able to find anything that looks even vaguely like customer support from them - they don't seem to have any distributor in this country, just a handful of diveshops (almost all in the MI/Il/WI area, so maybe they have a live wire rep there). Over the last few years I have repeatedly tried to contact Si Tech by email and letter without ever getting a reply.

I've also heard it rumored that the main reason DUI gave up on Si Tech was difficulty in getting a reliable supply of parts.

So where are you finding this customer service? A good contact would be invaluable.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Si Tech invented the variable exhaust valve, all others are just copies. They also have customer support that's nothing less than spetacular.

MechDiver once bubbled...

One note regarding Bare, I have an older Bare ATR and the exhaust valve is placed too low on the upper arm. Instead of being on the outer part of the arm, its over my bicep. I have seen the majority of Bare's valves in the same spot. It works, but takes some arm twisting sometimes.

I would question your source on exact placement being used now.

MD

Thanks for the heads-up....... Other than that, has your Bare ATR served you well?

rgds; jbm

MechDiver once bubbled...
I'll second Bob3's comments on the Si-Tech, and also concur with the placement.

I would question your source on exact placement being used now. Althought the forearm dump is kind of catching on with some folks here, I would have to reserve judgement until I could dive one.

MD

I must have got lucky as my exhaust valve is located just forward of my tricep on my upper arm.Kinda between my tricep and bicep but more on the tricep side making it really easy to vent while horizontal.I was thinking of relocating it to my forearm but am having second thoughts.Its kind of a pain as it tends to catch on my BP strap when donning and doffing in its current position.I still think it would be easier to dump from a forearm position but currently have no problems dumping air so ill probably leave it.

The only other complaint that i have with my bare atr hd is the lack of suspenders.Its a pain in the but when you want to strip down to your waist between dives and have to walk around holding your suit so it doesnt fall down to your ankles.Other than that its been a great suit and those are personal issues that probably dont affect other divers.

There are 2 "new" US distributors for Si Tech, here's an excerpt from a recent email I recieved from Si Tech:
==============================
"We are happy to announce that we have now two distributors in
the USA.
This will help us keep stock and expedite dive store orders more
efficiently.
They will be distributing valves, latex seals and provide repair
service. Both are highly experienced in dry suit repair and they
will both be able to fit Quick Cuff and Boot Connection rings to
various suits

Please contact:

USA EAST COAST: Underwater Adventures, Hampton,VA
scubadive@rcn.com tel: 757 8263-945
USA WEST COAST: Dive Tech West, Ben Lomond, CA
tim@divetechwest.com tel: 831 3360-137"
=============================

I haven't had much luck with either outfit myself, might be due to the "dive politics" thing.
I still import most all my goodies from Sweden.

The general manager, Stig Insulán, is a very service oriented fellow & always willing to take care of any problems personally.
stig@sitech.se

jbm once bubbled...

Thanks for the heads-up....... Other than that, has your Bare ATR served you well?

rgds; jbm

Yes, the Bare has been a good suit. Very sturdy, and quite heavy. Dries fast, and I really like the attached insulated boots. My feet have never been cold. Make sure the boots fit, and are not overly large. I use knife straps on the upper portion of the boots to lessen air infiltration and make sure they stay on.

MD

lal7176 once bubbled...

The only other compalint that i have with my bare atr hd is the lack of suspenders.Its a pain in the but when you want to strip down to your waist between dives and have to walk around holding your suit so it doesnt fall down to your ankles.Other than that its been a great suit and those are personal issues that probably dont affect other divers.

Forgot that. Yea, suspenders would be a good thing. I keep telling myself to install some, but have never gotten around to it. Wrapping the arms and tying them doesn't work for me cuz the suit is too heavy. Just try to not walk around much :D

MD

Back
Top Bottom