Dry Suit Undergarmets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dry Suit Undergarmets,

I saw on e-bay a posting for a rubber 1.5 mil dry suit undergarmet- it apparrently doubles as a spring suit.

Has anybody tried this system out?

the water in the North east at deapth is still 40's and closer to 50s on the surface- Is a 1.5 - 3 mil spring suit going to provide any thermal protection under a CLX 200 crushed neopreen dry suit ???

Thanks,

Vin

Vin:
Dry Suit Undergarmets,

I saw on e-bay a posting for a rubber 1.5 mil dry suit undergarmet- it apparrently doubles as a spring suit.

the water in the North east at deapth is still 40's and closer to 50s on the surface- Is a 1.5 - 3 mil spring suit going to provide any thermal protection under a CLX 200 crushed neopreen dry suit ???

Thanks,

Vin

Rubber... as in neoprene?

Generally one uses undergarments akin to woolies or long underwear under a drysuit because they have loft & wick moisture away from your body. Rubber won't do that. In fact, you will probably be much colder in that type of a suit.

Bonne chance,

SubMariner:
Rubber... as in neoprene?

Generally one uses undergarments akin to woolies or long underwear under a drysuit because they have loft & wick moisture away from your body. Rubber won't do that. In fact, you will probably be much colder in that type of a suit.

Bonne chance,

or that was my initial reaction- wanted to run it by the pannell- to see if I was mising something.

My feeling is that it wouldn't provide much thermal protection. I would stick with fleece and polypro underwear.

Scottri:
My feeling is that it wouldn't provide much thermal protection. I would stick with fleece and polypro underwear.

Yes, or thinsulate like the DUI CT200.

Vin:
Dry Suit Undergarmets,

Thanks,

Vin

A neoprene undersuit of whatever sort will provide excellent insulation - at the surface. As you go deeper, the ambient pressure will crush the neoprene to the point where a 7 mm suit at 50 metres feels like tissue paper with insulating properties to match.

So go for open-pore undergarments. My preference is a woollen one-piece over cotton long johns and long sleeved vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom