Store or sell dry suit that isn’t seeing any use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowlysubaruguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a High Tides crushed neoprene dry suit that I haven’t put on on a few years. The likely hood of me diving cold water in the next few years and needing this suit is minimal. It is now about 10 years old. These are not cheap. I store it in my garage on a hanger that spreads the load over the shoulders in a wide pattern. My two part question should I sell it? If not and its fine hanging on a hanger any tips on storage to extend its life. My garage is insulated and it rarely gets below 40 degrees but some of our summer temps breach 100 degrees for a week or two.

I’m far enough from our diving spots that its almost easier for me to take a week off fly tropical than it is to take a three day weekend and dive closer to home.

Mine live in dry bags when not in use. One of them is easily 15 years old and it's fine. Temperature is a smaller concern than environmental contaminants--especially ozone--that will cause the materials to degrade. Sealing them away from the air helps protect the suit, particularly if you have electric motors in the garage. Air compressors, well pumps, garage door openers...

Mine live in dry bags when not in use. One of them is easily 15 years old and it's fine. Temperature is a smaller concern than environmental contaminants--especially ozone--that will cause the materials to degrade. Sealing them away from the air helps protect the suit, particularly if you have electric motors in the garage. Air compressors, well pumps, garage door openers...

How is an electric motor going to effect the dry suit?

It produces ozone which can increase the rate of degradation.

I think that the only motors of concern are brushed motors. -- Induction motors and brushless motors do not produce ozone unless there is a spark somehow when a contactor closes.

Ozone is usually produced by an electric spark. It can be as small as from those little brushed electric motors that appear in kids' toys or as large as a lightning stroke.

Back
Top Bottom