Dry suit under garments VS HH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcbar4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just purchased a new dry suit. When I bought the suit they did not have an undergarment that would fit me in height (I am 6'4" 220 lbs), one was order and did not fit tried on 3 other types. The ones made for someone my height are made for some weighing 250 to 300 lbs. I have four children so I cannot afford a custom undergarment, but I do have two sets of Helly Hanson long under wear. (I work outside in the winter). I have worn the HH under wear and a thin pair of sweat pants and a thin sweat shirt on a dive already the temp was 38 F and I was comfortable. Is there any reason I cannot wear this instead of investing in a dry suit under garment? This is also my first post so that it easy on me please.

the key to undergarments has nothing to do with brand. the keys are a couple of things.

1) moisture wicking layer against your skin- due to a combination of condensation and sweating (yes you will sweat a little) not to mention any small leaks that you might have will cool you very quickly. I have found that a base layer of Underarmor cold gear or other snug fitting polypro top and tights work better than the purpose designed stuff.
2) wool for insulation- not only does it wick moisture very well, it insulates even if compressed or wet. Polar Fleece is good for temperate water, but wool works better when its really cold. Again, don't have to buy the purpose designed stuff.

basically avoid cotton- except maybe your tighty whities

btw- welcome to the board

of course you can look into the stuff available on ebay.
http://shop.ebay.com/rondel101bjrr/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

The long underwear are good, if it's really cold I usually wear those under a fleece undergarmet. Most 1 piece fleece undergarmets are usually reasonably affordable. They are nice because they have the ankle and wriststraps which make donning and doffing alot easier. No need to go for the highest end "polar-tech" or whatever they're calling it now. Which ever direction you decide to go make sure to avoid using anything that has metal snaps or metal zippers under your drysuit.

:)Welcome aboard.

1) moisture wicking layer against your skin- due to a combination of condensation and sweating (yes you will sweat a little) not to mention any small leaks that you might have will cool you very quickly. I have found that a base layer of Underarmor cold gear or other snug fitting polypro top and tights work better than the purpose designed stuff.
2) wool for insulation- not only does it wick moisture very well, it insulates even if compressed or wet. Polar Fleece is good for temperate water, but wool works better when its really cold. Again, don't have to buy the purpose designed stuff.

basically avoid cotton- except maybe your tighty whities

meesier42 is 100% correct

I am new to drysuits also and dive in MN. I wear wool for hunting and never get cold even when wet and will be getting some wool underwear for under my fleece. Some think I am crazy but I wear my wools socks under my booties and my feet do NOT get cold. I am shocked that there is not any wool drysuit undergarments marketed. DO NOT Wear cotton.
WTB

Due some research on what type of garments your looking at whether it's Polartec, Thinsulate, Etc. find out the fabric weight, and finally go to Cabella's they've the same name brand material for less, and they've big and tall sizes for us 6' 4" 220Ibs'ers who are tall but thinner in the middle. I had the same problem with my drysuit.

Speaking from experience they've exactly the same product and brand name with greater layering options, for less money (like $150.00 for a set vs. $500.00).

Welcome to the board.

I live and dive in Alberta as well. When I rented drysuits, I always go the undies. Since buying my own, I have decided to use the same kinds of stuff that you want to use. I usually add another layer of fleece intended for mountaineering. I've dove for 30min at 38F with wet gloves with nothing but cold fingers to complain about. The only modification that I made was to add some stir-ups for my fleece pants to keep them from riding up.

You know that Xmas is coming and drysuit undies make for an excellent gift from the SO.

I am new to drysuits also and dive in MN. I wear wool for hunting and never get cold even when wet and will be getting some wool underwear for under my fleece. Some think I am crazy but I wear my wools socks under my booties and my feet do NOT get cold. I am shocked that there is not any wool drysuit undergarments marketed. DO NOT Wear cotton.
WTB

Pinnacle Aquatics makes the Merino Evolution Undergarment, its a combination of Thinsulate (100gr), then Polar Fleece (250gr), then a super soft Merino wool (300gr) layer against your body. Sure its a little bulky, but when your diving in <40F water its just perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom