Question Dry suit sidemounters, how do you route your suit inflation?

how do tou run your inflation?

• Left tank, long hose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both wing and suit on the same tank (never mind the side)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the BC inflator on the left, because it is consistent with where it is in my back mount single setup, that is the way I was taught, and I like my configurations consistent if possible. I never considered the possibility of handing of my right tank affecting my dry inflator.

Hmmmmm..., food for thought...

I have the BC inflator on the left, because it is consistent with where it is in my back mount single setup, that is the way I was taught, and I like my configurations consistent if possible. I never considered the possibility of handing of my right tank affecting my dry inflator.

Hmmmmm..., food for thought...
Do you dive steels or AL80s? I dive steels and will never hand off a tank.

I dive both. Thanks for that. I'd like my configuration not to change more than it has to.

even more to chew...
Have you ever tried to totally unclip a steel, set it down, and see what happens? We did this during my SM class in a pool, 4ft deep. Headed straight for the surface. So no go to hand off a steel.

Have you ever tried to totally unclip a steel, set it down, and see what happens? We did this during my SM class in a pool, 4ft deep. Headed straight for the surface. So no go to hand off a steel.
I tend to carry the amount of weight to stay down with 1 steel tank. Also, there might be a possibility to carry enough to go down without the tanks. for no mount cases. if you don't already lug aroung massive amounts of weight.

Basically the weight of gas in 2x12l tanks 200->50 bar is 4.5kg. while in 2 S80 tanks is 4kg.
The s80 tanks are +3kg positive on 50bar, wile the the average steel are 1-1.5kg negative for the pair. So you can sill have enough weight to stay down when you dismount and not be overweighted.

Had to do it successfully without losing buoyancy control at 20' for my SM class. But, if the other tank was near empty I would be ~2# underweighted at my safety stop (if ideal with 2 tanks), doable but not ideal with lung control.

My first thought is that in most cases we can stay together. In the rare case where handoff is necessary, I can switch the left inflator hose over.

but still chewing...

I do use three alternate house routings.

#1 I have a small horizontally aligned suit gas bottle where many people put a sidemount pouch instead (my drysuit has pockets already)
- this is a required thing with trimix (helium is not a great suit gas) but I like the setup for all longer dives: air and nitrox too.

#2 There's a 90cm or 3ft suit inflation hose on my right hand side tank (and one for the bcd on the left hand side)
- A longer hose, with an U-bend, gives some flexibility. A short five inch hose was too rigid for my taste. Some people prefer it, though.

#3 Sometimes, in sump diving configuration, i.e. no wing, I use the left hand side tank for suit inflation. Or the right hand side. Doesn't really matter. But always a three feet hose and snoopy loops.

I've seen different ways of people doing it. So I wanted to ask.
It's an interesting poll. Thanks.
Me personally I run a single baldder wing
which is typically enough for us drysuit divers
- there could be other diving situations that I am not yet aware of, so it's "typically" and not "always" :D
My reasining for this is that I have my chest unobstructed, and I can easily disconnect either of the tanks, but I have my wing always attached.
Great logic.
We want to avoid the "all weights, no buoyancy" situation when doffing in the water, don't we :D
- a situation I do fear
when traveling I can dive monkey style with one tank on the left
Do try to hand hold the AL80 tank some time, it's a great way to dive, too. Especially in warm water without neoprene/weights.
But I've seen people run it criss crossed over their chests, and similar...
So what's your preference and why?
Our kits do vary greatly. A specific house routing might be clean for you but not for me. Or vice versa. It depends on how your wing inflator and suit inflator are located etc. Keep it simple, clean and tidy is a great rule.

- by the way, my kit follows the 1980's style with left and right hand side regs from respective tanks. Both regs necklaced The Old Way. I do wear a long hose on the right (when deemed usefull) and it runs across my chest as the only hose. Inflator is vertical on the left hand side and works ok there. I do not wear a longhose on zero viz search and recovery dives where a line tender replaces a buddy.

Since my rig is set up for OW and cave diving, my corrugated hose comes from bottom left of wing.
Mine too, and I have to say that it is a great thing to be able to empty both your wing and your suit at the same time.
I, at least, cannot empty my suit while operating the rear dump.

- Yeah, I know, your dump valve might be better placed and more automatic, but this is my experience with my specific kit, and I've always liked the idea of "manual control" instead of automatic valves (hence the dump valve placement and the need to lift elbow to dump gas). This is a lifestyle decision, I guess. Yes, you guessed it right. I am a member of a historical diving society.

- by the way, my kit follows the 1980's style with left and right hand side regs from respective tanks. Both regs necklaced The Old Way. I do wear a long hose on the right (when deemed usefull) and it runs across my chest as the only hose. Inflator is vertical on the left hand side and works ok there. I do not wear a longhose on zero viz search and recovery dives where a line tender replaces a budd
That's Old school Sump style configuration?
I always find it cool! But looks highly specialized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom