Dry Suit Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never used the neoprene. I do like the latex seals on my drysuit, they do not have to be turned under. The neoprene tend to be warmer, from what I have read. If you are getting latex seals, make sure that they are heavy duty--less chance of ripping.

I've used neoprene seals once...for some reason, I stayed a lot dryer with the neoprene seals (with the exception of one arm, but that was because the seal had been stretched out).
I've got fairly prominent tendons in my neck and wrists, and it was the driest I've ever been.
However, the seals were a bit of a pain to seat correctly, since you've gotta roll them under. It was darn near impossible for me to do myself; had to get my boyfriend to roll the neck seal under (of course, it was a fairly restrictive neoprene drysuit; might've been easier with a better-fitting suit).
Latex seals were much less of a pain for me. I tend to wind up with damp wrists, and a wet neck/upper chest (unless I'm really careful about how I move my head), but they were a lot easier to get into and out of for me.

Latex pros:

More flexible, so easier to put on and off.
Easier to replace
Latex wrist seals permit mounting several kinds of dry glove rings. Your choice with neoprene is limited.

Disadvantages:

Age faster.
Difficult to put any kind of permanent patch on them if they are torn.
No insulating qualities.

Neoprene advantages:

Warm and soft. Less likely to give you skin burn.
Can be patched, and revised if they get too stretched out.
Much longer lived.

Disadvantages:

Harder to get on and off. Like to remove hair.
Must be properly settled in order not to leak (although this is true of latex, too.)
Harder to replace, and fewer places will do it.
Neoprene wrist seals are hard to put dry gloves on.

One comment about heavy duty latex seals -- They're durable, and great for seal-mounted dry glove systems, but they tend not to seal as well on bony or tendinous wrists

I have neoprene neck seals on all my suits now, and latex wrist seals.

I like latex the best my self. Neoprene is too hard to put on. Latex is soooo easy donning and doffing. Just my .02 worth.

When I tore my latex seals on my whites drysuit I paid the large to have neo put on wrists and neck. I had boots attached to the suit also. My comfort diving went way up.

TSandM said it well. After more than 500 cold water dives my current preference is neoprene neck seal for warmth and heavy duty latex wrist seals. The Bare wrist seals from LP online $25are my faves for value. DUI seems to have the best Heavy Duty quality seals but you pay $50. The longer the seal the drier. If you have a nice full physique you are in luck and many seals neck and wrist will work great. If I was more chubby I would have neoprene neck and wrist and they would last the 10 years that I get out of a good suit. Oh and did I forget....Diving Concepts dry gloves are my favorite and will work on latex and you can do neoprene too. (replace the gloves with your own and save many $ and get a more durable glove than DC)

Very informative read through. I've been renting drysuits up till now and I'm just not convinced of their ability to keep me dry. I've rented only White's Fusion and Pinnacle Evo2 drysuits. All with latex seals.

My first dives are usually totally dry. But, when it's time to answer the call of nature or relieve an itch or two, it's all down hill from there. Generally, the next dives start dry, then endup with a neck seal leak. Maybe I'm not getting the seal just so, maybe it's because it's a rental and the seals are stretched / trimmed wrong, but I always end the dive wet. I know it's the neck because I can feel the water trickling down my neck and chest when I go into a vertical position. I try to keep my head turning to a minimum as I have a slim neck (ie. I know tendons tend to form gaps in the seal when I turn my head). My wrists are never a problem, only the neck.

These dry-at-the-beginning-wet-at-the-end dives are making me question the value of a drysuit and keeping me from buying my own. Are neoprene seals better at neck leaks, or are there other options out there that seal better (maybe double seals)?

Any input from my esteemed fellow members would be greatly appreciated.

Very informative read through. I've been renting drysuits up till now and I'm just not convinced of their ability to keep me dry. I've rented only White's Fusion and Pinnacle Evo2 drysuits. All with latex seals.

My first dives are usually totally dry. But, when it's time to answer the call of nature or relieve an itch or two, it's all down hill from there. Generally, the next dives start dry, then endup with a neck seal leak. Maybe I'm not getting the seal just so, maybe it's because it's a rental and the seals are stretched / trimmed wrong, but I always end the dive wet. I know it's the neck because I can feel the water trickling down my neck and chest when I go into a vertical position. I try to keep my head turning to a minimum as I have a slim neck (ie. I know tendons tend to form gaps in the seal when I turn my head). My wrists are never a problem, only the neck.

These dry-at-the-beginning-wet-at-the-end dives are making me question the value of a drysuit and keeping me from buying my own. Are neoprene seals better at neck leaks, or are there other options out there that seal better (maybe double seals)?

Any input from my esteemed fellow members would be greatly appreciated.

Don't give up on drysuits yet! It's not hard to work out whatever problems you've had with latex neck seals and then be completely dry every time in a drysuit.

Having your own suit will make that process much easier. :)

If you're going to keep using rentals, try a homemade 2" x 2mm neoprene neck band (or two) worn over the latex neck seal to hold it tighter against your neck. Adds good warmth, too!

2mm neoprene is easily obtained and a band can be made by hand-sewing an overlap joint. It's very simple and quick to make.

I use one or two neoprene neck bands for extra warmth in the winter, but in the past, they also helped when a latex neck seal was getting slightly loose from being stretched out or being the wrong size. Stopped the leaking! :D

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom