Dry Suit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have Latex seals on my dry suit.
How do you guys look after them (they are fragile) - Dry suit diving is pretty new to me.

Currently I talc seals before each dive, and after a weekend diving and fully drying out - I have started applying Seal saver.
Not had any experience of using this product .... any tips.

Currently I apply a few drops and massage in on both sides of seal ... it does make them look like new .... I use sparingly just enough without 'wetting'
Should I then buff the seal wit a cloth, or simply leave it and put suit away ?

Unscented talc will do a good job of protecting them. I have not used seal saver and I have never seen the need. I get at least 3-4 years per set of seals and usually 5 to 6 and I dive a lot.

Avoid any petroleum based product like the plauge as it will soften and degrade latex in short order. Ozone is best avoided as well so don't store it in a furnace room with natural gas or with electric motors. When it if fully dry, storing it in an airtight bag will go a long way to preserving seals as well.

Latex seals are pretty durable as long as you don't abuse them or over stress them gettin into the suit. Talc helps you wrists and head slide through them easier. When taking them off, lift the seal just enough to work the ball of your thumb back under the seal and then go slow and easy from there. Never wear your watch or a ring around a dry suit seal.

Replacing wrist seals is fairly simple and inexpensive and is a not too hard DIY project. Neck selas require a bit more skill, but they are less likely to get torn and usually need replacement when they soften and start to become too loose - that takes 5-6 years if you care for them and keep them clean. (skin oils and suntan oils are not their freind, but talc before/after every use tends to absorb any oils on the surface before they migrate into the seal.

Unscented talc will do a good job of protecting them. I have not used seal saver and I have never seen the need. I get at least 3-4 years per set of seals and usually 5 to 6 and I dive a lot.

Avoid any petroleum based product like the plauge as it will soften and degrade latex in short order. Ozone is best avoided as well so don't store it in a furnace room with natural gas or with electric motors. When it if fully dry, storing it in an airtight bag will go a long way to preserving seals as well.

Latex seals are pretty durable as long as you don't abuse them or over stress them gettin into the suit. Talc helps you wrists and head slide through them easier. When taking them off, lift the seal just enough to work the ball of your thumb back under the seal and then go slow and easy from there. Never wear your watch or a ring around a dry suit seal.

Replacing wrist seals is fairly simple and inexpensive and is a not too hard DIY project. Neck selas require a bit more skill, but they are less likely to get torn and usually need replacement when they soften and start to become too loose - that takes 5-6 years if you care for them and keep them clean. (skin oils and suntan oils are not their freind, but talc before/after every use tends to absorb any oils on the surface before they migrate into the seal.

Agree with all, especially keeping the seals clean by washing them with soapy water a few times each season. That will remove the skin oils that inevitably make it past the talc. Takes only a couple minutes total.

In addition, rubbing talc onto the skin of the wrist and neck prior to suiting up will further reduce the transfer of skin oils....especially when air temps make one sweat. :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom