Dry suit recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smrtz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Heyo!

I'm comparing some options for my first dry suit, and I'm struggling to find the right one. Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Pockets on both legs
  • End user replaceable seals
  • Compatible with some sort of dry glove system
  • Dry socks so I can pick/replace my own boots
Does anyone have any suggestions for ones that fit these requirements, or any other requirements I should be thinking about? Thanks!

Heyo!

I'm comparing some options for my first dry suit, and I'm struggling to find the right one. Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Pockets on both legs
Does anyone have any suggestions for ones that fit these requirements, or any other requirements I should be thinking about? Thanks!

Heyo!

• Pockets on both legs

Honestly any modern dry suit will have all those features or have them available. Now adays between any of the major big name brands they are all going to give you pretty much the same thing (unless you start getting in to exotic materials like the full kevlar SF suit or something). Everyone will tell you Santi or 4th element, or Otter, or Seaskin, or DIR etc. but its just like asking what is better Chevy or Ford? The more important thing than the brand name logo is the fit. This is by for the most important aspect of a dry suit especially if it is your first one. What you should really do is see if there is a local dive shop close to you that sells dry suits and get them to measure you up and size one accordingly. Also this way the sizing and ordering is on the dive shop not you. Quite a few companies now offer made to order suits, in my opinion this is the way to go.

To add to what @GF99/99 said: Look for a shop that specializes in true made-to-measure suits and has a history of custom made orders. If a shop does not do many custom orders, stay away. Diver sizing requires experience and if a shop does one custom suit a year, you may not like the end result. Thus, listen to the language that dive shop folks use. "Yeah, we have done some custom suits awhile ago" and similar phrases are red flags.

Materials make a big difference, too. Yamamoto neoprene used in SF Tech and top notch wet suits is substantially better than economy neoprene found on base models. The same goes for zippers and the overall suit craftsmanship.

If you read my posts, you'll notice that I am a big SF Tech fan. However, I don't know if I'd recommend that for the first dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom