Dry suit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BasiaA.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - am new to the site. Wondering if any of you have used the chemical hand (or foot) warmers with your dry suits? They are made for hikers and skiers but I thought they could be used with the suits, too... want to keep warm in really cold waters. Many thanks.

happywave.gif
Hi BasiaA. and Welcome to :sblogo:

I'm actually a warm water diver, so I have no experience at all with dry suits.....
This link
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30
however brings you to the sub-forum "Exposure Suits" which deals with exactly that!
Happy browsing and safe diving!

Welcome to the Board. Good to have you here.

Where exactly do you think you'll place them in a drysuit? All over your body? Hands? Feet? Generally, these chem packs are an awful idea. If you want to stay warm in a drysuit, buy a good set of undergarments.

Hands will likely be the biggest issue when trying to keep warm since they are very hard to protect and maintain any dexterity. How cold is the water you're planning on diving?

I agree with PerroneFord with respect to chem packs and drysuits. I have however used them with wetsuits. They were nice when they didn't go off too soon. The biggest thing you have to be careful with is that you don't put them directly on your skin. They get too hot and could burn you. If you do use them make sure to put clothing between you and the chem pack.

Paula

For the past few years I have used the Thermacare packs (or any other off brand) and they work great. I usually would use the lower back pack and that helps to keep your core warmer. Its also great to take off during your SIT and warm your hands up with them. Just a warning--they start to work once the pack is opened and O2 gets to it, so do not use if your dry suit hose is going to pony or tank with any higher O2 percentage than 21%. It get way too hot! But overall its been great for me in the 36 degree waters of Lake Superior and all the other Great Lakes.

so do not use if your dry suit hose is going to pony or tank with any higher O2 percentage than 21%. It get way too hot!

To me, this is a major drawback. Can't use them with nitrox, and they don't work with argon.

Welcome to the Board!

I've never used chemical warmers in my drysuit, but the problems mentioned would exclude them for me.

Excellent warmth can be achieved with undergarments, drygloves, and additional head protection. Just takes some experimenting to match the exposure protection to the water temp and activity level, etc.

Good to have you here!

Dave C

I´ve tried to use them in gloves and in my drysuit boots. It seems that they went out quickly. I don´t know if I didn´t get them going well enough before the dive (thought I did) or if they went out because I generally keep significant squeeze on the suit (don´t like a bubble floating around in the suit).

I´ll probably give them another try some time.

I have never used the heat pads, but my take on it is that if you need them, you dont have proper undergarments...
You shouldnt need to use more than your drysuit and proper undergarment to stay comfortable for the duration of a dive, even in water tempratures close to freezing..

Back
Top Bottom