Dry Suit Plumbing....where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkWhisperer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just "took the plunge" so to speak and invested in my first dry suit, it was a bit unplanned. I was in the dive shop and a guy walked in selling it. I tried it on and it was a perfect fit and brand new.
My question is;
It's plumbed with the tubing. there is one tube about 22" long, a t-valve, and a smaller tube about 6" long. Those are open with the one end connected to the through valve to the outside of the suit..
What do I need? Is there a fitting that's missing? Why are there two open tubes?
I'd attach a photo, I'm sure you guys know exactly what I'm talking about, but to me it looks a little odd....not sure why there are two ends when I only have one.....nevermind, you get the idea :D

Is the through valve located on one of the inner leg thighs?

Looks like you got a drysuit with pee valve instaled... The small one probably goes from a hole in one of the legs (closed probably with a small screw) and have the other end loose, right? If so this end is to be connected to something like a comdom that I supose you know where to put... :D so when you need you just have to ask your buddy to take some distance and let go...

The other one connecting to the valve in your chest is the inflation hose for the drysuit, you should connect it to your tank or a pony. You will probably learn that if you go tech, but don't connect to the main tank if you are breathing trimix (helium is a good heat conductor, will considerably reduce the effectiveness of the duit insulation), in this case use a pony with argon, or at least air.

Hmmm, ok, lemme see if I can describe this better;
The "relief" valve is located on the upper inside of the right thigh of the suit, that I got, it unscrews allowing...well..that.
Inside the suit, is a single tube that is about 4" long, connects to a t-valve. Off the t-valve is a short tube with no fittings on it, about 5" and another tube that goes to the chest. Is that the one you're talking about ivo that should connect to the inflator valve? I suppose it could, but there is no connection to the inflate/deflate valve in the chest of the suit.
This is why I'm confused, it seems it would go there, but it's either missing a fitting, or perhaps I need a different inflator valve to connect to the tube?

I'm hopeful to work this out, if I have to I'll attach a photo of it, so someone can explain it to me using the pics. I kind of see what you guys are talking about, it just doesn't look right on the suit.

Yeah, thats a P Valve.
Don't know what the Tee is for, never heard of that. Normally it just goes from the cath to the suit pass through. It should not connect to anything else.

For starters you should be able to just disconnect the tubing from the thigh fitting and keep the valve closed.

That sound weird. The only reasons to set up a T-valve that runs up to the chest are really not fit to print, and the fact that such speculation has flirted with my consciousness most likely suggests something deeply wrong with me . . .

The tee off hose might be an external dump if the diver needs to off-gas. :D

It's a balanced p-valve. The first check valve is in the main unit and prevents back flow. The second check valve is in the short part of tubing off of the tee, and serves to balance the ambient pressure between the inside and outside of the suit. As anyone who has ever had to endure a non-balanced p-valve, the "li'l feller" can be subject to a major squeeze at depth.

If, indeed, the p-valve is balanced, the screw on the outside is purely redundant.

Ok, awesome...
Thanks very much for all the info foilks!
I thought it might be a balanced valve, but it just seemed like it was missing something.
Should there be any fittings on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom