Dry suit or Wet for Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deano2

Contributor
Reaction score
I am heading to the Galapagos in November 2005 (poor me). As the water temp is 60-70 (15-21 C) can anyone recommend whether they have dived there in that season and whether it's preferable to dive dry in a Trimalite suit or should we dive in wet suits? Thanks for the help !

Deano2:
I am heading to the Galapagos in November 2005 (poor me). As the water temp is 60-70 (15-21 C) can anyone recommend whether they have dived there in that season and whether it's preferable to dive dry in a Trimalite suit or should we dive in wet suits? Thanks for the help !

I'm interested also. I'm going in December. Since I get cold easily I was thinking of getting a semi-dry just for the trip. Tilos makes one for $149.

divebuddy68:
I'm interested also. I'm going in December. Since I get cold easily I was thinking of getting a semi-dry just for the trip. Tilos makes one for $149.

That's also an option but I hate to spend money on something I doubt I'll use more than a few times. Renting might be an option. I'm wondering if you can get by with only a 1/4 inch/5 mm? December should be a good time. Its a long way to go, wich I'd booked for June !

Deano2:

My various trips to the Galloping Pogos in November & December have logged temperatures between 74 and 81 degrees. I am not sure where your chilly numbers came from, but that might cast some doubt upon some of the other information from that same source.

I have been in this temperature water in nothing less than a polar fleece. It was not my choice, it was all that I had, and it wasn't something that I relished- just that for three dives a day, it was survivable. I say this just to paint a picture of how insensitive to cold that I am. This question, as to your resistance to cold, is one that you leave open.

I prefer to dive in those temps in my 3/5 from www.wetwear.com . I give their website because it's the single best manufacturer of custom suits that I have found. Don't forget a dive beanie!

I have seen dry suits used in these temps and above quite successfuly with no insulating undergarment.

Another important criteria that you leave open is your intended dive frequency. Also- a four dive a day program from a land based operation will cause much less overall wear and tear on your body's furnace than a live aboard. Ships, even while you believe you are resting aboard them, require a lot of compensating energy from a body un-used to the rocking and motion, much less the everpresent a/c and dry humidity levels.

Many considerations.

What is your resistance/recovery?
How many dives per day?
What is your off-gassing environment?

And finally, the G is the last place one might take a dry-suit along without intimate familiarity in its operation and issues inherent in doing backroll entries and small boat surface recoveries.

Here's our latest trip story from the G: http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

Post a report here upon your return!

Hi Roaty,

Indeed, a report will be posted with pics....

I'll be on a liveaboard and minimum 3 x a dive, weather permitting mate. I wouldn't want miss out on anything !! I wouldn't say I chill easily and as long as the air temp is suitably warm i recover quite quickly.

I think you answered my question. I can see entry problems in a dry suit if we have to make any negative entries (imagine Deano floating off into the big blue while trying get the air out of the dry suit). Think i can get by with 5 mm + hood?

Thanks for the website and I'm off to read your report.

Deano2

RoatanMan, great advice. Thanks! Can you check that link you provided? Doesn't seem to work.

divebuddy68:
RoatanMan, great advice. Thanks! Can you check that link you provided? Doesn't seem to work.

Try this: http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

It describes the "land based option", seldom used by Americans. Maybe you'll find it of use if you schedule your trip to arrive early... or if you stay later than your group or liveaboard period.

I took a 1/4" wet and was happy. In hindsight, wouldn't have taken less; hit a couple of spots where the temp - albeit briefly - went down to like 50f. Kinda fresh, for a few moments.

Some sort of upwelling, I guess.

I agree that the temps at that time for me were warmer than 15-21 Celcius. I was there in November and it was between 19 - 25 Celcius. I ws toasty warm in a 7mm farmer john and jacket, lots of other confirgurations but no dry suits amongst the 16 divers on our boat. Have a great time.
Alison

Hola. I went there at december/03, i wore a 5mm wet suite and was pretty good, on the north islands, at south islands i just added a hooded vest, and was ok. check this link to see the conditions and places where i went. good luck there. please post your report when you come back.

http://www.geocities.com/shark_noextinction/galapagos_divelog.html
General conditions:

Water temperature: 20°C - 26°C

Viz : 30ft - 70ft.

Exposure suit: 5mm wet suit + hooded vest

Accessories: Flashlight, surface signaling device, whistle, gloves, diving computer, snorkel, UNDERWATER CAMERA.

Current speed: 1.5 - 2 knots

Surge: Moderated - low

Mistral yatch (Quasar Nautica) :

Five Stars Guide: Antonio Moreano

2 zodiac "pangas", each carring 4-5 divers and panga driver

7 days trip from dec. 13 to dec. 20 / 2003

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom