dry suit newbie! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebasdess

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

This is my first message on ScubaBoard. I'm a divemaster who started diving in Quebec, Canada... but now, most of my dive have been at Riviera Maya, Mexico.

I'm now back from Mexico and... damn! I never notice water was so freaking cold here! hehe! So byebye 7mm, I want a drysuit now!

But I really dont know a lot about drysuit.

From what I have read so far, I guess I have to go with a trilaminate.

What would you choose between:
Zeagle Gatorskin
Hollis BioDry FX100
Pinnacle Evolution 2
Something else? Any brand that are clearly better or that I should avoid?

Also, as I want to do longer dive... I was thinking about a pee-valve... is any suit can have a peevalve on it? Is this something we add to the suit or it's built-in?

Thx! :)

Hello sebasdess,

I drysuit is something that you will not regret. Be sure to get velcro bellows pockets on the legs and reinforced knees.

I have heard many good things about the White Fusion (2 or 3?)

I own a DUI TLS 350 and it works well for me, though it is my first drysuit, so I can't compare it to anything. I noticed with the TLS350 that, once I added a comfort zipper, knee pads, and bellows pockets, the basic suit became almost the same price as the Signature Series TLS 350, which would be custom tailored to my specifications and include the pads and pockets for free.

I'll echo mpetryk here.

I also have a TLS and love it. I have also heard great things about the Fusion. My LDS is now selling the Pinnacle drysuits and they look really nice, and have a nice price too.

P-valves can be added to any suit. Some can be bought pre-installed, but I think of where I saw that.

speaking of drysuit newbies, I have been looking at a lot of brands, and tried a few, most fit like a bag, does anyone know of an "athletic fit" drysuit for the guy who works out and has a chest 10 inches wider than than the waist? Seems most companies make, tall, short and wide occassionally narrow, but I haven't seen "fit"

Look into the Fusion. It conforms to whatever shape you have.

I'm a DUI fan. Not to say that Whites, Bare, Pinnacle, Waterproof, etc. aren't quality suits. I just have always been 'home' with the DUI brand. My first was a TLS 350, which was a great suit. You change undergarments to suit your specific water temperature. So you can use one in very cold water, to say, lukewarm (for lack of a better term - I've used a TLS 350 without underwear in NC, diving just the shell). I now own a CF-200. This is more a cold water suit. I love them both. Yes, you can get a pee valve installed. Also many other features, like dry gloves, etc. Pee valves aren't my cup of tea, but many DUI users swear by them on long dives, with the possibility of decompression stops.

I know my LDS is selling all the suit brands mentioned above at rock bottom pricing. If you are interested, visit Indian Valley Scuba. I saw their prices, and they are unbelievable. Safe diving to you.

Don't seem any cheaper than any other dealer - its all MAP pricing by the look of it!

Call John (JGLO) at Indian Valley Scuba for information on rock bottom prices on the drysuits they have. I was really surprised they could sell the suits at those prices. Indian Valley Scuba - 800-825-2452. If he is not in the shop, leave a message with Bev or Brian. JGLO is the drysuit guru.

I love my DUI TLS350 & diving the Mexico Rivera ;-). No way I'd dive colder water without a drysuit, it's well worth the investment & learning curb!

Back
Top Bottom