Dry Suit Neck Seal Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having an issue with the latex neck seal on my suit leaking. I think I trimmed it a little too much after replacement last year and it has subsequently stretched out a little and now leaks.

Short of putting a new seal on it, is there anything I can do? Would an Apollo Bio-seal help? Also considering buying a new latex neck seal and create my own version of a Bio-seal (in effect, a latex dickie...hmmmm, that sounds kinda weird...).

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!!

New seal. Period.

Make a 2" wide band of 3mm neoprene to wear over the neck seal.

That will stop the leaks, add warmth and let you get the full life out of the neck seal.

I use two neck bands in the winter and found they sealed the loose neck seal on a used suit I bought.

Dave C

Somebody please explain the advantage latex seals supposedly have over neoprene? I have dived both and I can't see where a seal that tears easily, has little insulative value and is difficult (if not impossible) to repair yourself is better than neoprene.

The flexibility and ductility of latex allows it to follow the contours of your body more closely than a neoprene seal which is much stiffer (relatively).

The trick is not to trim your seal too much (especially until they have stretched a bit). I don't trim my wrist seals all and I take only two rings off the neck even though I have a 17"+ neck.

Somebody please explain the advantage latex seals supposedly have over neoprene? I have dived both and I can't see where a seal that tears easily, has little insulative value and is difficult (if not impossible) to repair yourself is better than neoprene.

I use an Apollo Bio-Seal neck seal with my neoprene neck seal on my drysuit. I got it because there was some seepage with my new suit, but the neck seal seemed plenty tight around my neck. I could have had the neck seal on the suit altered, but I was afraid that then it would be too tight and not as comfortable. Once I started using the Bio-Seal the problem with seepage went away, but it is a PITA to use. I keep planning to try diving without it and see if it still leaks, but lately every time it comes up, being absolutely sure I'll stay dry wins out over my curiosity to see if I can do without it.

If you've trimmed your neck seal too much, then it's shorter than it was and doesn't fold over as far. I don't know if a Bio-Seal will do much good in that case. Dave4868's idea may be the best so far. I had thought of suggesting reducing the circumference of your neck seal yourself by removing a very thin slice of material lengthwise on the seal and then gluing it back together to reduce the circumference, but it will still be too short.

If the main reason you're asking is because you're trying to avoid the expense of replacing the seal, the Bio-Seal probably costs almost as much as the replacement, or at least half anyway. I guess I'd say if you can rig up some neoprene bands like dave4868 suggests without too much trouble, it's probably worth giving it a shot. Otherwise, your best bet is to just replace the seal.

The flexibility and ductility of latex allows it to follow the contours of your body more closely than a neoprene seal which is much stiffer (relatively).

The trick is not to trim your seal too much (especially until they have stretched a bit). I don't trim my wrist seals all and I take only two rings off the neck even though I have a 17"+ neck.
From where I sit, latex is simply a PITA with no advantage over neoprene. I don't see how the flimsiness of latex (allowing it follow the countours of the body) changes that. My neoprene seals last for years (even with daily use), are easy to repair, are comfortable and bone dry.

If your neck is skinny and your head large (comparatively) a neoprene neck seal may not work for you as neoprene doesn't have the same stretchy properties as latex. To get a neoprene neck seal large enough to get over your head, it may be be too large to fit your nect tight enough.

Luckily I don't have that problem as I love love love the warmth of neoprene neck seals!

Paula

I would be very careful about having a neck seal that is too tight, by constricting your neck all the way around your body can respond in very bad ways. If it is leaking there are 2-3 likely reasons.
1) too loose=> replace it
2) worn, torn, or hole => replace it, temp fixes are probably ok for a little while, but...
3) you are moving too much => moving your head all around in different positions if likely to create small gaps and some sepage will occur, normally this is so little that your undergarment just gets a little moist around your neck, annoyning, but harmless unless you are in contaminated water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom