Dry suit inflator as an air gun - Question to Uncle Pug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Iceni

Medical Moderator
Reaction score
My Dear Uncle,

Are you my paternal Uncle? (Dad was from Pennsylvania!).

Great posts! (Sorry, I know I take myself far too seriously sometimes).

Took a look at your little video on the use of a spool and the dry-suit inflator to fill your lift bag or DSMB.

How do you do this? Do you have a double-feed on the female connector or does your make of inflator allow it to be disconnected and used as an air gun?

Most British divers, including me, use Apeks suit inflators and they cannot be used as a gun as bought. Do you have an air gun to plug in or what?

Ta!:)

http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/video/sbag.htm

In that video, the diver is using the halcyon lift bag which has a little nozzle that accepts a quick disconnect. The nozzle doesn't have a locking mechanism the way your drysuit inflator valve does, so it's not going to drag you up. You just push the quick disconnect into it, and it begins to fill :)

Jonnythan gave you the correct answer on the Halcyon lift bag...
We just detach the suit inflator hose... push bag's the fill nipple into the end of the inflator hose until the bag inflats some and then when we pull it back out the inflator hose shuts off and we let the bag go. The fill nipple on the bag is a one-way valve and while it will not let air back out it will let water into the bag along with the air when we are filling... this is not a big deal... but the bags do end up with a water *ballast* each time.

One thing that worries some folks is the disconnecting of the inflator hose... they feel that this is a safety issue because you might forget to re-attach it... well it is probable that at some point you will forget but the reminder to correct the situation is built into the device... you get a good cold squirt when and if you try to push the inflate button... I won't say that it happens to me all the time... I won't say it... I won't. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom