Dry Suit Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Picking up my first drysuit and I've got a question I want to pose to the DIR crowd here on SB. I've received conflicting advice here so I want to see what DIR's answer is as well as the reasons for it.

For the Drysuit Inflation Hose, should I use an actual drysuit hose with a restrictor such as DiveRite Express sells OR should I not worry about it and just use a standard BC style inflator hose?

Thanks!

Giff

The restrictor / no restrictor is not important.

From the DRexpress website here's their rationale and here's why its not relevant
A rapid over inflation that may cause uncontrolled or unexpected ascent.
Learn to use the suit properly.

A flow rate that could exceed the drysuit exhaust valve expel capacity.
Gas will burp out your neck if you are overinflating at the surface. I have no idea why you be adding gas and venting gas simultaneously at depth.

A loss of intermediate pressure if the drysuit inflation valve should freeflow.
Theoretically partially possible although even a cut lp hose does not equal no IP pressure at all. Otherwise I couldn't inflate and inhale at the same time since I have no restrictor on any of my hoses. Regardless of whether this complete loss could even happen, suit inflators do not suddenly fail open anyway. They are a "balanced" design and leak water miserably long before you'll have gas self injecting itself into your suit.

Feel free to use a hose with a restrictor if you'd like. It may or may not make learning the suit easier. Its not really doing anything IMHO. Once you are proficient with the suit, I doubt you'll notice one way or the other.

It is important to use a standard shrader lp nipple on the system though. The various custom fittings that have been tried (by various manufacturers) are worthless and merely make it impossible to get a replacement hose in some distant land.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom