Dry suit hose, warm water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffsterinsf

Contributor
Reaction score
Hoping that there aren't any "stupid" questions here, or at least that I won't be the first to ask one...

...I am planning on taking a dry suit course here and renting dry suits for a couple of cold-water dives. Other than contamination and cross-threading issues, I assume there is no problem with adding and removing the inflator hose for the half-dozen times this is likely to occur.

However, if it all works out well, I'll probably purchase my own suit. Now, just what do I do when I go warm-water diving with that pesky hose? I assume that the connector is self-closing if a suit is not attached, but now I would imagine having a coil of useless hose and all its attendant issues. Any good solutions out there (short of buying another regulator)?

Jeffsterinst

1. Wrap it around your 1st stage and dive - no problem.

2. Disconnect with an adjustable or fixed wrenc and mount the small plug with an allen key.Just remember to treat the very small O-ring well - or you're going to have lealks. Test it before you dive in!

3. Enjoy the dry suit diving - It's really a pleasure.

You could take it off and plug the LP port on your 1st stage or you could leave it on there and use some surgical tubing to make a loop on your harness/bc to keep it from dangling. Its never a stupid question. I've got one for you though, what are you contaminating by removing your hose? You dont have to answer that. Your bst bet for your question is just to plug the LP port on the 1st stage when you want to remove the hose for warm water diving when you wont be wearing a drysuit.

PS dont wrap the hose around your 1st stage.

#1. you would look like a butt head.
#2. It creates an unsafe situation, which could lead to entanglement issues.

Just run it down your side, if you have a backplate, you can use a large oring looped through side hole , tuck it under your waist belt.
If you have a stab-jacket bc tuck it through an arm hole and down through the cumberbund.

Mike D
:blfish:

On the rare occasions when I dive wet, I slide my drysuit hose down under my right arm and tuck it in the cumberbund. You won't even know it's there.

#1. you would look like a butt head.
#2. It creates an unsafe situation, which could lead to entanglement issues.

#1. how very tactful. In the event of any circumstances requiring diplomacy I'll be sure look you up. :tongue:
#2. what are you basing this upon? There is already a valve, a first stage, and multiple hoses in this area. There is no more exposure to entanglement than the aforementioned.

Ultimately, it is up to the INDIVIDUAL as to what they want to do: keep the whip or take it off... entirely a personal decision.

~SubMariner~

I just take 2 minutes and disconnect it and put the plug back in...Of course I also spend 30 minutes checking my gear over the night before to test everything anyway...=-)

SubMariner,

Is this something you would actually do? Is this something you would teach? Give me a break how tactful you want me to be. I was going to use other words and I didnt. Use common sense dont teach some person just starting diving bad practices. What do I base my theory on. I base it on all these divers that have had poor training with stuff that is not stream lined dangling all over the place because it wasnt mounted or was mounted but not secured. Take some classes from a real instructor then look me up and tell me she or he told you to wrap a hose in circles around a first stage.
:bonk:

What do I base my theory on. I base it on all these divers that have had poor training with stuff that is not stream lined dangling all over the place because it wasnt mounted or was mounted but not secured.

So in other words you have no evidence, just your OPINION about how/why one should configure one's gear. And if they don't agree:
Use common sense dont teach some person just starting diving bad practices....Take some classes from a real instructor...

How professional. Certainly makes me want to heed your sagelike advice. :really:

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom