Dry Suit Hood Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Flurohood Dry Suit Hood came into today, just 4 days after I ordered it. It seems well made, and I really like the bright orange color, but I'm not sure about the face opening. It seems sort of small. My Henderson Wet Suit Bib Hood is much larger and lies flatly on my face (the only part that I like about the hood). The Flurohood material around the face is much thicker and doesn't lie flatly, it sort of fans out a bit but the hood is sealed to my head around my hair and chin line. The opening is much smaller. Is this normal for a dry suit hood? I'm wondering if I'll have trouble getting my mask on, or, is this normal? Anyone out there a guru on dry suit hood fitting?

Fluro Hood - 'Don't get Left Behind'

If the above hood is what you have, it appears to have a "face seal", as described in the product webpage. It's similar to my DUI drysuit hood in that regard, but my DUI "face seal" material is thinner (3mm) and lies flatly on my forehead, cheeks, and chin, and only flares up a little at the sides of my eye sockets. Mine seals well overall.​

You said your Fluro Hood has thicker material around the face, which surprises me. It appears thinner in the image above.​

Anyway, your mask skirt would be tucked under the face seal of the hood, I believe. That's how I use my DUI hood.​

If the face seal lays flat in most areas and only exposes a small amount of skin where it flares up, it will probably be fine. Otherwise, it may not be the right fit for you. Perhaps it is just stiff from storage and will reshape to your face with repeated use.​

If it's got "much thicker" material for the face seal itself, it may be a manufacturing mistake, judging from the product picture and description. :shakehead:

Maybe another Fluro Hood owner will chime in. :)

Dave C​

Thanks, Dave. Yes, this is what I have. It makes sense that the black ring around the face is the face seal. It isn't thicker than the rest of the hood, but not thinner either, but it does have a rubberized sort of lining on the inside of the neoprene, not unlike a light version of the rubber seals on my dry suit. My Henderson hood does not have a face seal, so now that you mention it, this could be why this seems different to me. I'll do some more playing around with it, but I suspect the seals may not be lying more flatly because the hood may be a bit large through the area around my head (unforunately, it fits perfectly on my neck - I think I have a small head and big neck). The customer service has been great, so I'll ask Flurohood what they think. Does anyone out there own a Fluorohood?

Typically you put the hood on then your mask over the hood. Have someone chalk out the mask and remove both. Then cut HALF the distance of the chalk line or so. If your water is cold you want a little overlap where you have to tuck your mask in. Practice this procedure until it is second nature. I just run a finger around the edge of my hood, starting where I can easily get my dryglove under the seal until I run into the mask strap, then move over an inch and start the process again.

Hmmm...I just looked at the website and it shows them as 5mm hoods. I guess it will not be used for colder water under about 55 degrees depending on the persons personal heat index.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom