Dry Suit Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ththooft

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello-

I'm looking at the Diving Concepts dry gloves, and I have a question about sizing. The mediums fit my hand snuggly in the store. They feel a little tight around the base of my fingers. The larges don't feel as tight, but I have a decent amount of extra room at the ends of my fingers. The guy told me that they will squeeze down under water and so something that feels tight (like the mediums) would feel even tighter under water. At the same time, I'm concerned that the extra material on the ends of the fingers could cause loss of dexterity while diving. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

ththooft:
Hello-

I'm looking at the Diving Concepts dry gloves, and I have a question about sizing. The mediums fit my hand snuggly in the store. They feel a little tight around the base of my fingers. The larges don't feel as tight, but I have a decent amount of extra room at the ends of my fingers. The guy told me that they will squeeze down under water and so something that feels tight (like the mediums) would feel even tighter under water. At the same time, I'm concerned that the extra material on the ends of the fingers could cause loss of dexterity while diving. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

they do feel tighter once you're in the water due to squeeze, and the "loss of dexterity" is something you grow accustomed to fairly quickly. I'd rather have warmer dryer hands, than cold numb hands. I lose more dexterity with the cold numb hands.

Might also think about a glove liner. If nothing else that should take of the glove being too big.

ththooft:
Hello-

Thanks!

Dry gloves are something you just have to get used to. They are not tight fitting like a neoprene glove but in the long-run they are worth every penny. The biggest descision needed is the cuff/no-cuff etc. I dive the cuff rings and still have my latex seals intact in the event I need to switch to a wet glove. (leak)

mnj1233:
Dry gloves are something you just have to get used to. They are not tight fitting like a neoprene glove but in the long-run they are worth every penny. The biggest descision needed is the cuff/no-cuff etc. I dive the cuff rings and still have my latex seals intact in the event I need to switch to a wet glove. (leak)

Right on - worth every penny but you will loose dexterity. I have been using the DC neoprene gloves with fleece inserts for a year. The mediums fit me just as you describe but I went with the large to ensure the best thermal protection. If the gloves are too snug it will restrict warming capabilities. It is a MUST to get velcro wrist straps for these (and all in my opinion) dry gloves. These straps will significantly improve your dexterity by holding a lot of extra material at your wrist keeping your fingers closer to the end of the glove.

I opted for the no-cuff. If you choose to keep the wrist seal in place you will need to insert a tube to allow air flow between glove and suit. Otherwise you would have squeeze problems and limited heating. The disadvantage is a ripped glove can flood your suit.

I ripped my inner glove (girl with large nails helped me remove my glove previous dive) and I did not realize it at the time. The following week I splashed into 36 degree F water to discover the tear. I found the hole but the leak was so slight I was able to dive for 15 minutes before it was uncomfortable. The fleece liners do an amazing job to wic the water from your hands. Having this experience I am even less concerned about a ripped glove/flooded suit. The convenience of free air flow from glove to suit is my preference.

Lastly, the snap seals will never come off underwater. You will be lucky to take them off on the surface when you are trying. I have my buddy help me remove my gloves on the surface. I also suggest you use aquaseal to glue the neoprene flap down on the top of the wrist ring. This protects the inner glove seal and makes it possible to access the wrist straps. You will know what I mean when you have them. I highly recommend these gloves.

--Matt

matt_unique:
Right on - worth every penny but you will loose dexterity. I have been using the DC neoprene gloves with fleece inserts for a year. The mediums fit me just as you describe but I went with the large to ensure the best thermal protection. If the gloves are too snug it will restrict warming capabilities. It is a MUST to get velcro wrist straps for these (and all in my opinion) dry gloves. These straps will significantly improve your dexterity by holding a lot of extra material at your wrist keeping your fingers closer to the end of the glove.

I opted for the no-cuff. If you choose to keep the wrist seal in place you will need to insert a tube to allow air flow between glove and suit. Otherwise you would have squeeze problems and limited heating. The disadvantage is a ripped glove can flood your suit.

I ripped my inner glove (girl with large nails helped me remove my glove previous dive) and I did not realize it at the time. The following week I splashed into 36 degree F water to discover the tear. I found the hole but the leak was so slight I was able to dive for 15 minutes before it was uncomfortable. The fleece liners do an amazing job to wic the water from your hands. Having this experience I am even less concerned about a ripped glove/flooded suit. The convenience of free air flow from glove to suit is my preference.

Lastly, the snap seals will never come off underwater. You will be lucky to take them off on the surface when you are trying. I have my buddy help me remove my gloves on the surface. I also suggest you use aquaseal to glue the neoprene flap down on the top of the wrist ring. This protects the inner glove seal and makes it possible to access the wrist straps. You will know what I mean when you have them. I highly recommend these gloves.

--Matt

Something NOT reccomended but I do anyway is put the liners on then slip them thru my latex wrist seals. Now you DO NOT have a water tight seal if the ring fails but I do get excellent air flow to my glove. In the event of a leak I will (and have) pulled my liner out till the latex sealed on my wrist.

Anyone have experience with these? I'm looking at the "Ultimate Dry Suit Glove" on page 2.
http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/dryaccess-clothes.pdf
My wet gloves are shot, I'm looking for a new pair that will work well with my latex sealed dry suit. My old gloves always rolled down and left a cold spot around my wrist. These gloves sound like a good idea to solve that problem without taking the jump to dry gloves. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dive1Dennis:
Anyone have experience with these? I'm looking at the "Ultimate Dry Suit Glove" on page 2.
http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/dryaccess-clothes.pdf
My wet gloves are shot, I'm looking for a new pair that will work well with my latex sealed dry suit. My old gloves always rolled down and left a cold spot around my wrist. These gloves sound like a good idea to solve that problem without taking the jump to dry gloves. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I have a buddy who dives gloves identical to these - and he is content with the way that they work. But beware, you need a good length of latex cuff exposed to make a good seal to - and equalisation is essential at any depth beyond about 30 feet. It can also be pretty awkward to fit them effectively in cold conditions.

Personally, though respecting OMS argument about restricted access using ringed solutions, I'd go with ringed gloves. My DC system is excellent...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom