Dry Suit Exploratory Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soakedlontra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I cannot ignore any more the hard fact that my used Mobby's suit is now a colander beyond patching. Time has come to begin my search for another drysuit.

What I like about the Mobby's is that the zipper is in the front and I can do operate it without somebody else's help and its mobility due to the fact that it is a shell suit. What I do not like about it is the fact that the boots are separate and my feet get rather cold and the flaps, zippers and Velcro straps at the bottom of my legs (totally unnecessary). I have heard and read that boots attached to a suit keep your feet warmer.

Is there a suit out there that combines what I like about the Mobby's with warmer boots and without those flaps?

I am rather disappointed with the Whites MK3 undergarment and I am wondering if a Weasel would keep me warmer...

I'm not familiar with Mobby's suits - is it a trilam/shell type suit or crushed neoprene? I like my White's Fusion. Many of my friends have various DUI suits as well as a couple Bare tri-lams. I've also heard good things about the SeaSoft neoprene suit.

For undergarments, I have been using White's MK2's under a White's Fusion suit. I just got the Fourth Element Arctic's and they are SO warm. I actually had some squeeze problems because with the MK2 I would add air to stay warm. With the Arctics I never felt cold, so never added air, so got squeezed.

I agree with Parzdiver above. I dive DUI CF200 two options for feet both of which you can utilize Thinsulate booties inside for warmer feet. Also the DUI is self donning with the front zipper. I am posting this as this has been my suit of choice for 30 + yrs and into several hundred dives as they stand up to the enviroment very well. Opinions may vary as you will find out. But find a dealer or go on DUI web site for DOG days where they let you try one out.

Enjoy

I'm not familiar with Mobby's suits - is it a trilam/shell type suit or crushed neoprene? I like my White's Fusion. Many of my friends have various DUI suits as well as a couple Bare tri-lams. I've also heard good things about the SeaSoft neoprene suit.

It is not crush neoprene but trilam. I tried the Fusion once and the mobility is great! I have heard of complains about the material not being very sturdy so it can develop holes easily. I hope to try it again next week.

For undergarments, I have been using White's MK2's under a White's Fusion suit. I just got the Fourth Element Arctic's and they are SO warm. I actually had some squeeze problems because with the MK2 I would add air to stay warm. With the Arctics I never felt cold, so never added air, so got squeezed.

That's exactly the same problem that I have with the MK3. In order to stay warm I have to put a lot of air in the suit, but then I become too positively buoyant. Another diver suggested to add weights. I did but probably they are not enough and I still feel cold even if I have increased the amount of air in the suit. Beside are you not suppose to keep your weights to lowest possible quantity?

It is not crush neoprene but trilam. I tried the Fusion once and the mobility is great! I have heard of complains about the material not being very sturdy so it can develop holes easily. I hope to try it again next week.

Not to put in a plug for my LDS, but I know they are clearing out their drysuit stock. IVS End of Season Drysuit Inventory Clearance Sale

Some are new, some were used on the Demo trailer.

That's exactly the same problem that I have with the MK3. In order to stay warm I have to put a lot of air in the suit, but then I become too positively buoyant. Another diver suggested to add weights. I did but probably they are not enough and I still feel cold even if I have increased the amount of air in the suit. Beside are you not suppose to keep your weights to lowest possible quantity?

I never felt like I had to put too much air in the suit, but I did have to add it with the MK2's. Water temp in the mid - upper 40's. With the new Fourth Element Arctics I was only adding air to remove the squeeze.

It's a pricey suit but I would look at the D.U.I. FLX EXTREME! This suit rocks! I have had mine since June and it's front-entry, durable, flexible, and streamlined (water rolls right off it). This suit dives just like the TLS 350 but more durable.

Options you should consider:
Tough Duck Overlay
2 Velcro Pockets
Turbo Soles
CF200 Knee Pads
Pee-Valve: I Hate ending dives early!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom