dry suit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I just make sure I go before the dive if I even THINK I may have to go...

The first rule of drysuit diving: pee before donning the suit.

This is also good when wetsuit diving but is not important enough to be considered a rule. :)

I will never, ever, ever, ever go diving anywhere that is cold enough that I will need a drysuit. As far as I'm concerned it diminishes the whole idea of scuba diving. That is "GETTING WET".

I'm with you...but only partway. I'll admit that there is nothing like diving in warm, tropical water. Aside from the comfort of being warm, the colors and sheer amount of sea life is outstanding. However, I also have to disagree with you on a few points:

First of all, if you only ever do warm water diving, I think you are missing out on a lot of opportunities for some great experiences. While we don't have the bright colors of the south, here in Atlantic Canada we still have plenty of great dive sites...lots of wrecks, some great sea life...you just have to look a bit harder for it. I haven't made the trip to British Columbia yet, but from what I've been told there is some even better cold water diving to be done there...everything from giant octopus to six-gill sharks. And there's nothing like the sight of ice cakes from below.

Second, I think all the people who spend time in the water when it's near the freezing mark, or even up to the low teens (in Celcius) might have something to say about that not being "real" diving because they aren't getting wet...trust me, it's every bit as real as diving in a wetsuit. Besides, as most drysuit divers will probably tell you...you still get a bit wet...there's no such thing as a perfect seal.

Finally, it's great to say you'll pay the air fare etc. to go dive somewhere warm. That can work if you're independently wealthy, but for most of us who don't actually live in areas that are warm year round, the choice is either limit your diving to the one or two vacations you can manage each year (because even in the summer, if you're diving to any depth at all it gets pretty cold for a wetsuit most days) or go dry. For me, the number or warm water dives I get to do each year just wouldn't be enough to keep me happy.

So I go dry...and I like it!

TS&M also had good suggestion awhile back that I've been using. Before every drysuit dive I drink a 12oz bottle of water and eat two bags of salty potatochips. I stay hydrated and the salt slows down the urinary process- help me out with the proper term Lynne- to the point where I've done 2 hours in the suit without having to go in water as cold as 39 degrees. I also have a relief zipper and can go right before with little effort. Hell I even climbed out of the rainbow river midway thru a drift dive to go. Only took off my fins! Unzip-whiz- rezip and back in the water. Try the salt thing. It does work. And drink with it. Pee before you go in and voila!

JumLap: If I got into some water that was 39 degrees I wouldn't have anything left to pee with. Maybe that's the answer.

JumLap: If I got into some water that was 39 degrees I wouldn't have anything left to pee with. Maybe that's the answer.
A couple decades ago when I'd do ice dives in high waist wet suit, we used to joke that you needed to tie a string on it so you could find it after the dive. Dry suits are so much nicer for ice diving.

I will never, ever, ever, ever go diving anywhere that is cold enough that I will need a drysuit.

Never say never When I started this or should I say, when this started me. I thought the same thing. The problem was I didn't get to dive much.

Diving dry has now become a way of life. Its still a fun dive, sure it would be great to be in warm water, but its still diving. I you think you don't get wet, just ask a few of us that have left their zippers open.

Besides all of that, you are never going to see what it's like to go ice skating upside down with no skates, as someone pulls you from the top side.

I'm not trying to make an issue out of this, I'm just saying you might be missing something you may really like.

Never say never.

Take care,
Plumb

Oh yea, I almost forgot, p-valve all the way. The only problem is you have to remember to put it on, and afterwards you have to remember you took it off!!!

I don't do planned decompression diving, and always dive dry off a boat with a head (or somewhere where there are facilities), so it's never been an issue. I find the immersion diuresis much less strong when I'm diving dry than when I'm in a wetsuit, and if I go before I zip up my suit, I can easily last through an hour's dive and usually not be in too much of a hurry to get to the head afterwards. YMMV.

Fyshebate and Plumbcrazy:May I expound on my earlier reply.::: "I will never, ever, ever,ever, ever ever, ever dive in water cold enough to require a drysuit. Period." I really don't think that I would be missing a thing.

IAnyway, at one time I was interested in the pee valve but I found out that they don't make a condom attachment in my size.
Just for information's sake, the Wide Bands have such good adhesive that I think you could make one seal around a pencil. Length is irrelevant. And for someone who can't find one large enough, there are worse problem to have.

Rick Inman: Don't want to talk about it anymore. Too embarrassing to admit the truth.

Back
Top Bottom