Dry Suit Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8buck, definetely take a session to work with a pro

basically, you'll learn how to manage bouyancy and how to deal with
emergencies with the suit

SubMariner:
...Basically, I'm just trying to point out that you can layer with garments that are not that expensive; they just need to be made from the right materials.

Pax,

(Hope it's okay to jump into this thread)
What exactly ARE the right and wrong matterials? There was a comment earlier to avoid cotton. Could someone please explain? I'm embarassed to admit that under all my fancy gear I've just been wearing sweats (in layers when needed).

-Ben

airsix:
(Hope it's okay to jump into this thread)
What exactly ARE the right and wrong matterials? There was a comment earlier to avoid cotton. Could someone please explain? I'm embarassed to admit that under all my fancy gear I've just been wearing sweats (in layers when needed).

-Ben

Welcome, Ben. It is always OK for anyone to add to a thread on Scubaboard, preferably regarding the topic at hand, which you have done!

The right materials vary and are a matter of preference, but they should either be synthetic materials (I use fleece), or wool. I think there are some drysuits undergarments out there that might even have down, which would also work.

The reason that cotton is bad is that is will chill you down when it is damp. Even if your suit NEVER leaks at all, most people do sweat when they are in a drysuit (especially before they get into the water, but even in the water if they are swimming against a current or their undergarments very warm.) The moisture is absorbed by the cotton on your skin, but the cotton doesn't retain warmth very well, so you end up with cold, wet clothes on. Even though it is not a synthetic, wool keeps you warm even when it is wet, so it is OK to use.

Back
Top Bottom