Dry suit course in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTA

Reaction score
Hi! Just got back from 2 weeks of diving in Malaysia - saw my very first hammerhead - was awesome!

Anyway, am missing the water again and was thinking about doing my dry suit course over the May bank holiday weekend. Any suggestions of the best place (and dive shop) to do it with? I'm a PADI diver with about 80 dives or so - so nothing too extreme pls!

Was thinking about the Cornwall area but am worried it will be PACKED over that weekend. Still it's the closest (I live in London) and I've heard the diving is pretty good there.

Thanks!

West Wales Divers would be a great bet, they're not far off the M4 corridor (4 hrs from london and I reckon it'd be quicker on a bank hol to get down west wales than cornwall. the instructors there are excellent and very friendly.
Training wise for the confined sessions they have an indoor pool, for openwater sessions they've got a huge number of sites to chose from that way.
Dont know how to setup a link but type in west wales divers on a search and Im sure you cant go wrong ;o)

Greg

Miss, you want to do a drysuit course then jump straight into the sea? You don't sound like a UK diver, (no drysuit, no idea of local shops, nothing too extreme). Isn't that all a bit too ambitious?

Cornwall? Closest? There a loads of centres that can provide openwater sessions within 1.5 hours of London. Most convenient probably being Wraysbury (lake near Heathrow) and I bet they can do a course at short notice too: http://www.learntodive.co.uk/

Rage:
Miss, you want to do a drysuit course then jump straight into the sea?

Why not?! The whole point of doing a dry suit course is to go out and dive (obviously). There's no problem in someone then going and doing a dive in the sea as long as they're sensible and build up their experience in small steps. Maybe this person wants to go and do some great diving in the seaaround the British coast rather than in some cold, dark, smelly inland dive site. It doesnt need to be any more difficult doing your 1st post dry suit course dive in a shallow sheltered bay than at an inland dive site.

DORSETBOY:
Why not?! The whole point of doing a dry suit course is to go out and dive (obviously). There's no problem in someone then going and doing a dive in the sea as long as they're sensible and build up their experience in small steps.

Agree, but I am thinking even smaller steps than you. Bear in mind (I think) a warm water drowned in Cornwall not too long ago. Same can be said anywhere, but I'd advise a more controlled environment to gain drysuit experience in. And while at it possibly some DSMB deployment and bad vis experience?

Maybe this person wants to go and do some great diving in the seaaround the British coast rather than in some cold, dark, smelly inland dive site. It doesnt need to be any more difficult doing your 1st post dry suit course dive in a shallow sheltered bay than at an inland dive site.

This person is free to do whatever she chooses. I only suggested an inland site as the poster was oblivious to its proximity to London.

I see you point, and having now read your previous post and recommendation, agree to a certain extent. However, having been in that place before and trying now to get AOW divers with grand designs up to speed - I'd advise caution and a slow pace.

Thank you for your replies Dorsetboy. And you are spot on with the comment that I would like to see what the "good" diving in the UK is like rather than a lake - and also spot on with the fact that I'm aiming for sheltered area and am going with a dive guide for the first few dives. And thank you for your recommendation.

Rage, thank you for your comment but frankly I find your tone patronising and off-putting. The content of the message is fine, but the way you have said it would basically put off anyone diving in the UK.

FYI, I have a DSMB and have used it regularly, and in addition have also dived in bad viz. There are thermoclines under which you get 0.5m viz even in warm water in case you have not had the opportunity to experience that. And in addition I've done 6-7 night dives, which is also in some ways a "limited visibility" enviroment.

I know that cold water diving is very different and am well aware of my limits as a warm water diver - and I am definitely going to take things slowly and carefully. I heard of diver who drowned in cornwall recently but did not know of the circumstances - if anyone can enlighten that would be informative. This is my first time diving in the UK and in cold water, and I'm looking forward to finding a way to continue a sport which I love. But frankly if UK divers are anything like you, Rage, I don't think I'll continue with it.

I put the "nothing too extreme" comment in case anyone thought I was a jumped-up AOW which no idea of my own limits. I've seen enough bad diving and arrogance from both experienced and inexperienced divers not to want to do the same.

Good luck with your diving, hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you get on. There are so many good dives in the uk you really can be spoilt for choice.

Greg

West wales is a *long* way from london, you're looking at maybe 5 hours driving or more, london is effectively east coast and west wales is err west :).

There are far more around the south coast, dover/weymouth/plymouth and i guess some on the east coast which would all offer the coast and be far more sensible to get there and train there.

Anyway, bank holiday is over so i guess this post is null and void. West wales wasnt that packed over the weekend, sea state moderate with a 4-5 wind. Good diving out around the islands but 6" visibility on exposed SW areas.

FWIW i dont think the cold is really the main factor making uk diving different, its the sea surface conditions and currents combined with low vis.

String:
FWIW i dont think the cold is really the main factor making uk diving different, its the sea surface conditions and currents combined with low vis.

Agreed in the Summer, during the winter though water temp can be a very important factor. Another factor often forgotten is that if like myself you are brave (or stupid) enough to dive in a semi in Jan around the uk, you will get damn cold, esp when changing!.. when i save up enough I'll be getting a dry suit too!!

I suggested West Wales over for example cornwall / devon as I have found that when I lived in the south of england, just off the M4 corridor it was easier to get to west wales than get across to cornwall with all those damn caravans you have to contend with down there! ;o)

I suggested West Wales over for example cornwall / devon as I have found that when I lived in the south of england, just off the M4 corridor it was easier to get to west wales than get across to cornwall with all those damn caravans you have to contend with down there! ;o)

I disagree :) Having spent 45 minutes trying to get past a caravan to get to west wales last weekend :)

The M4 corridor etc is fine but the M4 stops about 75 miles before you get to west wales, once the dual carriageway finishes you're pretty much stuck to single lane roads for a long way. These are often populated by tractors, caravans, construction vehicles and other mobile roadblocks!

Caravans should only be allowed to travel between 2am and 5am (or banned totally!).

Cornwall via A38 is probably easier these days.

You made a good point about the surface interval (January in a semi ?! You need locking up in a padded cell!) - Even people warm in the water get cold on the SI with a wind, rain etc, ive seen people curled into small balls on the RIB floor trying to get out of the wind before now and thats in july.

Plymouth is nice and nearer to london and im sure you could find a place there, ditto Weymouth which should be even nearer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom