Dry suit class availablility in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My hubby has a business trip to Monterey July 15th. . . we'll be staying at

Portola Hotel & Spa
2 Portola Plaza
Monterey, CA 93940

I know nothing about this area, but he has to work through the weekend. Therefore, I'm thinking it would be a good time for a dry suit class and to demo a dry suit. It would be Friday the 16th and Saturday the 17th, I believe.

Any recommendations? Thanks! :)

One of my instructors can teach drysuit. He's a barrel of laughs until it comes to him putting his name on someone's C-card, then he gets into no-nonsense mode pretty quickly. PM me if you want his info.

She's going to need to rent one somewhere. Not sure any Monterey dive shops rent drysuits. Will you have a car?

AquaSafari in Santa Cruz rents them for I think $35/day.

Edit: I agree that isn't exactly walking distance :)

I could be wrong. I'm not DS certified, but I looked at them with my gf (who does do DS) for a trip we were going on. They might have quoted her a multiday rate or something, not sure. I love my LDS though because they rent steel cylinders quite cheaply -- I only use my AL80 for night diving.

At $70/day, it doesn't really make financial sense not to own, eh? I'm guessing it's just for people who are traveling and don't want to haul theirs?

Yes - ouch on the drysuit rentals! Plus the class prices -- whoa! I was seeing $225 per class online.

I think I'm going to take the padi certification class in Phoenix, and then run around Monterey to see if I can rent one of my top three:

DUI TLS350
Bare NextGen
White's Fusion

I want to rent to try one out. Anyone know of any demo days?

I've got 9/11-12 marked on my calendar as DUI's Monterey weekend. I missed the White's earlier this year.

If staying in downtown Monterey as stated, try a local Monterey dive shop.

Aquarius Dive Shop
Bamboo Reef
Glenn's Aquarius II

Do a quick google search from "Monterey Scuba" to get the complete list but these are the major players who might be able to help. I know a couple of these shops do dry suit specialty classes.

If looking for a demo, try some of the above suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom