Dry suit boots, attached or rock boot style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for my first dry suit and I wonder what the pros and cons are, is one more durable thatn the other? I usualy enter over rocks and oyster shells.

Scroll through the forum, this has been asked/answered many times.

The answers usually break on two fronts:

1.) It depends on diving location; shore divers favoring rock boots, boat divers favoring turbo-soles or similar built in boots

2.) It depends on what you find more comfortable; some favor rock boots, some don't

I prefer turbo-soles on my DUI. 1.) I dive off of boats mostly, and 2.) I find rock boots to be very uncomfortable.

Don't have em, but want em: turbo-soles. Plenty of guys here use them for shore and boat. I have integrated boots on one suit, and converse for the other. I want turbo-soles on both...

I use Chuck Taylor hi-tops sized for tight but comfortable fit (one size bigger than my normal shoe size). The thing I like about them is that I can lace them up real tight so there's no space for gas to expand in my feet. i.e. no floaty feet. Also they add relatively little extra over the drysuit sock booties so I can use the same fins with them and my wetboots. Last, they are relatively cheap if you buy used or find inexpensive knock-offs.

I haven't tried the attached boots, but would imagine that their shape is slightly awkward or too large since you have to be able to slip in without loosening any laces or such as with normal boots. Plus I guess they need to be sized for your thickest socks or undergarment booties which might make them a little roomy with lighter socks.

On the other hand attached boots eliminate one step from gearing up. Putting the Chuck Taylors on takes a few minutes which sucks if everyone else is waiting for you.

I use Chucks also. Very nice, no air in my feet.

My previous DS was a bit big on me plus had integrated boots. Definitely simplified suiting up, but those boots held a lot of air and made the suit trickier to dive.

I have the "neoprene sock" feet on my drysuit. When I'm doing a rocky shore dive, I wear Bare Trek Boots. When I'm diving off a boat, I might wear zipper-side wetsuit booties. When I want to dive with *style*... well, there's always "tie-dye" Chucks. :D

I like the flexibility. :biggrin:

I wear zipper-side neoprene boots over my DS 'Socks'.
Ocassionally off of a boat, I don't even wear them. It's not like I am going to be walking anywhere except back onto the boat.
Either one will work for you. 'Socks' give you the flexibility of deciding what boots you wear (or not).

If you have to deal with barnacles, sharp rock, unstable rock, etc I would go with Rock botts just because of the protection and support you get witrh them. The same could be said about Chuck Taylors. Turbos soles are great for weverything but thed above mentioned. They don't have support, protection from abrasion, cuts and scrapes.

I have turbo soles on mine, but I dive in the Great Lakes, and Cave country Florida with my drysuit most of the time. No need for Rock boots there.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom