Dry Suit Boat Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how big is your suit bag? Mine is the size of a small duffel bag and since it is smaller than a wetsuit, no issues to bring on board. I pack pretty light though which helps.

It's more of a large duffel than a small one. It should compress down once I have all the gear out, though. My other bag is a pretty large one, though, one of those large and tall mesh backpacks.

I think I'll swing by the charter shop a little early to get their suggestions. It's going to be a warm day and I overheat pretty easily, but if they suggest to go with gearing up early I think I'll survive.

Make sure you have a highly water resistant bag for your suit. It's no fun having your undersuit or the inside of your drysuit get wet before you even get into it. It makes for cold, unpleasant diving too. After a dive the boat deck can seem to be wet all over so keeping the dry side of your suit dry during the surface interval can be a challege. That is assuming that you can't keep it 100% on - many of us can't because it's to hot/otherwise uncomfortable or we need it off to answer nature's call. The waterproof bag is also nice for storing your street clothes while you dive so they stay dry when everyone brings all their dripping wet equipment back onboard.

Before/after/between dives we consider long underwear to be the national costume of the drysuit diver, acceptable for all occasions but weddings, funerals and parent/teacher conferences ;-)
Seroiusly though, I can still remember the amazed stares from a tourist boat that passed our pier on a 30C day while 20 divers in their long underwear (various colors inc. 2 variations of camouflage) were walking about and enjoying their surface interval lunch.

Last edited:
It's more of a large duffel than a small one. It should compress down once I have all the gear out, though. My other bag is a pretty large one, though, one of those large and tall mesh backpacks.

I think I'll swing by the charter shop a little early to get their suggestions. It's going to be a warm day and I overheat pretty easily, but if they suggest to go with gearing up early I think I'll survive.

I have to admit to very rarely (if ever) putting my suit on before I get on a boat. It's just too easy to get overheated at this time of the year. And unless you are diving a 5mm+ neoprene drysuit, there should be no issues putting it in a regular mesh dive bag with the rest of your gear. IOW, you really shouldn't be taking up any more space onboard that when you dive wet.

Whether or not you get on in your undersuit, or change on board is pretty much a function of how large the dive boat is (whether or not there will actually be a dry area to gear up). Plus travel time out to the dive site. I've done both scenarios.

The latter is pretty much the key as to when you actually put on the suit. If you must do it before the boat heads out, usually you just do it up to the waist. Then you get the rest of your kit together & stow the gear bag under the bench (or wherever the crew tells you to stow it). Finish getting into the suit (etc) when you're at the dive site.

Enjoy diving dry! :D

On the St Lawrence, the "dress code" is determined by the size of the boat. With the six pack operators, we normally suit up in the parking lot. For the bigger boats most folks carry on all their gear and suit up on the approach to the drop off point/wreck. If you have a good idea about the undergarment required for the water temp and do not have any significant leaks in your suit (thereby eliminating the need for a change of layers) you should be able to keep the overall volume of gear in check.

The only DS "etiquette" rule I can think of is that it's impolite (downright rude) to make excessive fun of the wetsuit divers shivering during surface intervals. A smug smile is enough. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom