Dry Suit and vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkbomb123

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys, new to dry suit diving. I was wondering how to plan for under garments doing 3 to 5 dives a day for 7days? Don't like putting on smelly damp
garments. Any info would be appreciated. I have one set of 4th element, one set of store bought polertec sweats and one set of silk weight polertec.

Bring a couple of sets of base layers that you can launder. Stuff that has built in odor control (e.g. Capilene) is nice. A dry drysuit will also go a long way in keeping your undergarments from getting too damp. I've gone six days on only one base layer. I just air dried it at the end of the day. Wasn't an issue. If I were doing more dives, I'd bring a second set.

Hey Guys, new to dry suit diving. I was wondering how to plan for under garments doing 3 to 5 dives a day for 7days? Don't like putting on smelly damp
garments. Any info would be appreciated. I have one set of 4th element, one set of store bought polertec sweats and one set of silk weight polertec.

Where are you going? A dryer available is a non-negotiable item for lodging for anywhere I go that isn't on a boat. Dry suit divers can and eventually will get damp or wet.

I take two sets of undergarments on most all trips anyway, so I have something at the site that is dry to change into for a second dive.

...Don't like putting on smelly damp garments...

Well, this is unavoidable if you are diving dry, unless you have access to a washer/dryer or have many undergarments that you can swap out.

A drysuit is not "dry," you will get moist from condensation. And then there is the urine issue.

If you have a pee system (can't tell if you're male or female) you will get a small amount of urine in your undergarments unless you simply don't pee at all in your drysuit. If you are female, I think a small urine leak is avoidable. If you are male, there are always the rare catheter failures and the small leaks from the balanced pee valve.

If a washer/dryer is not available, you will want to have several sets of undergarments to rotate through. You can always wash your undergarments in the shower and hang them out in the wind to dry.

Don't forget spare drysuit socks, these get really wet.

Finally there is the contingency issue of a blown drysuit gasket. If you're on a live-aboard and you blow a gasket, what is your contingency plan? I was out in the Coral Sea off Australia and accidentally shoved a hanger through my neck gasket when i was trying to hang it up in the dark in heavy seas. Fortunately, the ship had wet suits/booties/fins for rent. My drysuit fin pockets were too large to be used with regular wetsuit booties, so it was nice that alternate fins were available for rent.

Personally, I just deal with the mositure and stink and rotate between two sets of undergarments.

I occasionally bring a dehumidifier on trips I drive to. Does wonders for drying out ug's if there's a leak.

If you have a pee system (can't tell if you're male or female) you will get a small amount of urine in your undergarments unless you simply don't pee at all in your drysuit.

I still have a rare leak, but the vast majority of the dives I do with the She-P, I have no urine leakage at all. If I had leaks on a routine basis, I'd change something (other than my undergarments).

I still have a rare leak, but the vast majority of the dives I do with the She-P, I have no urine leakage at all.

Great news!

If I had leaks on a routine basis, I'd change something (other than my undergarments).

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I have a Halcyon balanced valve that ALWAYS leaks a little bit. Nothing that Halcyon has suggested has been able to stop the leak. I am tempted to replace the equalizing valve with a bolt to turn the balanced valve into an unbalanced system.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I have a Halcyon balanced valve that ALWAYS leaks a little bit. Nothing that Halcyon has suggested has been able to stop the leak. I am tempted to replace the equalizing valve with a bolt to turn the balanced valve into an unbalanced system.

I have an H balanced p-valve. It almost never leaks. Maybe once every 200 dives I've had to take out the duck valve and give it an extra good rinse, but certainly no leaks in between those times. Do make sure you aren't over-tightening the plug that seals the duck valve. That seems to be the number one cause of problems.

Thanks guys. I'lI check on W/D.I think I'll deal with with also and just bring extra base layers and be extra carefull with the P valve hose on disconnect and hangers:). I have one back up wrist zip seal but no neck at this point. Just turned 65 and get cold fast. I live in florida and 80 deg starts to get cool for me. Going to San Sal in March, looks like water temp is 74 deg at that time of year. Dove Coz a few months ago with a 3 mill Aqua Lung W.S. Water temp was 79deg felt chilly for me, air temp was about 74 deg and windy. Froze my ass off last year in Florida and it wasn't an age thing every one was in a huddle, 68 deg water temp in winter with 10 to 15 mph winds on a moving boat, hence, dry suit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom