Dry Suit and DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i am not DIR, but certainly could see myself going that route, particularly for
further cave training.

so... my question is:

is the Dive Rite 905 dry suit a shell suit, or is it neoprene? it says it is made of
special rubber, but i can't tell:

http://diverite.com/products/dry/drysuit.htm

so... would this suit serve me well as a DIR dry suit should I take that option
in the future?

To expand a little bit, shell suits [well, trilam suits, and the 905 is a trilam] are made of a layer [or several sandwiched layers] of butyl rubber with a layer of nylon or polyester on either side. So the rubber in a trilam suit is the actual waterproof layer between the fabric layers.

ah, ok...

any experiences with this suit? anyone have any advise about using it, not
using it?

thanks in advance

BTW, urethane coated nylon suits are bilams, and they are very cheap and of low quality. They invariably develop leaks over time where the plasticy urethane coating on the interior of the nylon wears thin or simply cracks or delaminates. The Whites Nexus is this type of suit.. I don't know of many others.

One of my buddies dives this suit, and has plenty of good things to say about it. Basically, I think that if it fits you well, you're all set.

H2Andy:
ah, ok...

any experiences with this suit? anyone have any advise about using it, not
using it?

thanks in advance
The fit is the toughest part, they are built kind of broad around the chest and then they have a husky size that is even more large in the chest area - even i would feel a little lost in them, and Andy we both know i am a little larger than you :wink: As for the suit, DRE was selling them, but the price went up quite a bit, Ginnie was also selling them at a much better price, but when i asked they werent sure how long it would take and if their prices were rising. I hear great reports and not so great reports (from those who it didnt fit properly) - just check out the sizing charts see if you fit in to a medium or so. As for how DIR the suit is, i dont know.

H2Andy:
so... would this suit serve me well as a DIR dry suit should I take that option
in the future?

You would be much better served by a DUI TLS suit. I went through several different drysuits trying to save money before getting a DUI. It just cost more in the long run.

So, RTodd, why would he be better served by a TLS?

jonnythan:
BTW, urethane coated nylon suits are bilams, and they are very cheap and of low quality. They invariably develop leaks over time where the plasticy urethane coating on the interior of the nylon wears thin or simply cracks or delaminates. The Whites Nexus is this type of suit.. I don't know of many others.
The OS Systems drysuits are like this, as are some USIAA suits I believe. I had an OS Systems suit and experienced no problems with mine, other than it did not fit perfectly. I bought it right after getting certified, well before I knew anything about drysuits... my instant gratification gene kicked in unfortunately, and when given a choice between getting a drysuit that day or waiting 5 to 7 weeks, I chose the today option. I upgraded to a custom-cut Andy's last year, now my OS Systems suit is my backup.

Jimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom