Dry suit and crotch strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All this craziness when the right solution is just to use the right crotch strap in the first place.

Weight belt webbing does not belong in your crotch.

The right crotch strap is the one you have lying around that was free.

My suit was made in the '80s (bought used but in good shape a year and a half ago--probably 100 or more dives on it since its purchase). It is a DUI TLS350. I don't have soft enough webbing and I don't have any kind of additional fabric protection on my suit in the crotch or its webbing. With all of this, I still don't have significant wear in the crotch area.

The webbing only needs to be snug enough to keep the tank from riding up when you invert. Second, if you are frog kicking as your primary kick, you will save the wear and tear.

Softer webbing will help, covering will help but it sounds like there is more than the need for this going on here.

I am using the stiff style webbing for my entire harness. I have about 50 dives on the setup so far, and my suit has no significant signs of wear. Underwater I frogkick, so that doesn't worry me. I shore dive though, and some of the hikes down aren't exactly short. I'll keep an eye on my suit (Nex-Gen) and if it starts to show signs of wear, I'll swap strap for a softer one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom