Dry suit and crotch strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eod

Reaction score
I have noticed that my beloved dry suit has started to wear where the crotch strap is grinding against it. This is after about a year of diving (about 80 dives). Does anyone have a suggestion what to do? Ditch the 2" crotch strap? Find a softer webbing (does it exist)? Put some reinforcements on the suit?

What kind of webbing do you have now? My crotch strap is extremely soft, much softer than even seat belt webbing.

wrap the strap in a neoprene sleeve, and reinforce the suit

Best solution is to put the equivalent of a knee reinforcement patch around the crotch area.

*Can never have too much protection for your crotch, dude.*

theskull

jonnythan:
What kind of webbing do you have now? My crotch strap is extremely soft, much softer than even seat belt webbing.

I'm with jonnythan.... scarry as that is. The crotch strap is a soft material, also if you are doing the frog kick there should not be much wear. Flutter kick will cause wear. (bad kick, bad.....) My suit is 2 years old, CS since I got it. No noticable wear

I had the same problem. I've got a narrow hard webbing crotch
strap and it started to take the surface off the reinforced crotch
area of my Hunter/Gates 1050.

So I found a tube protector in neoprene at my local dive shop
and strung it on the webbing in the right area and it works OK.

The tube is made from a strip of 4mm neoprene about 7 inches
wide and about 15 inches long. It has velcro applied to opposite
sides so that it forms a tube when the velcro is secured.

I have the 2" standard webbing for weight belts at the moment. The LDS only carries this one unfortunately. I will look into getting a softer webbing when I go to another city.

Go to your local bike shop. Ask them for the fattest old intertube they have lying around.
Cut the tube to the desired length and thread your crotch strap through it.
You now have a rubber encased crotch strap. I use bike tubes for all kind of dive stuff they work great and their free!

eod:
I have the 2" standard webbing for weight belts at the moment. The LDS only carries this one unfortunately. I will look into getting a softer webbing when I go to another city.
Go only and find them, they are only about $6-8 depending whether you want a few extra bells and whistles. I bought mine from Dive Rite Express.

eod:
Go to an auto wreckers and get some seat belts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom