Dry Suit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverl

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my first dry suit and am looking for some advice. I have done a lot of research and talked with my LDS about the purchase and would like to run there advice by you.

Dive in Canada (Ice Diving)
Like to go deep: Don’t want Neoprene; can’t afford compressed neoprene.
Discovering wreck diving: need something durable
LDS carry DUI, whites, Brooks, Bare, Gates and Viking.

I tried to rent several suits from the LDS, however none of the stock sizes seem to fit properly, except maybe Viking and they do not have one in my size. Apparently I have weird dimensions: Male, 6 feet, 240 pounds, 45-inch chest, 38-inch waist, size 10 feet.

Without being able to try any of the suits I have narrowed my choices down two the suits listed below. I have searched previous posts on these suits but did not come up with a direct comparison of them. Since I cannot try these suits how would you rate these suits against each other?

DUI – TLS350SE Tri Lam (Custom)
Whites – Aqua Pro quad Lam (Custom)
Viking – Pro 1000, or x-treme

Check out this page. It deals with a similar scenario. What part of Canada do you dive?

Definately consider the Abyss Pro Kevlar suit. It's made in Canada and costs about $1800US for a custom suit. It's a high-end suit like the DUI and Viking, so it's pricey, but it's extremey durable. It's far and away more puncture/abrasive resistant than the Vikings. Mine looks brand new after three years of wrecks diving. A buddy of mine just bought one from Diver Down in London Onterio.

http://www.abyssdivingsuits.com

If you're on a real budget, I know someone who was selling Viking Pro 1000's for around $1000US new. This is a steal, but personally, I would probably spend the extra for the Abyss. Let me know, and I can put you in touch with him.

Mike

Thanks for the quick replys!

Kane(adian) - I had looked at that post but missed some of the detail. I live in Edmonton, Alberta but try to get to the west coast (Vancouver) as much as possible.

Lost Yooper - I looked at the Abyss pro kevlar, however it is a little out of my price range. All the dry suits I listed above are in the $1600.00 - $2000.00 Canadian (About $1000.00 - $1200.00 U.S.). $1800.00 U.S is about $2800.00 Canadian. I have not made a final decision yet and am seriously considering you offer for assistance on the Viking suit.

E-mail me when you're ready, and you can at least talk to him and see if the prices have remained the same.

thelostyooper@cs.com

Mike

Back
Top Bottom