Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, in addition to the importance of hydration (BTW, dehydration is probably the leading cause of the 'bends') you can consider using a metal 2nd-stage reg, both Mares and Scubapro sell such regs in 2010. Metal regs were actually much more common back-in-the-day, but most manufacturers moved to cheap plastic 2nd-stages, thinking the average diver wouldn't know the difference, and it cut manufacturing costs by about 3X, increasing profit margins.

I agree with SF and Doc above. Hydration is absolutely the first consideration. A second stage with either a metal case (some Mares and Scubapro models). a metal air barrel (all Apeks, some Aqualung and some Scubapro models) or moisture fins (some Sherwood models), can be very helpful in reducing dry mouth.

I definitely second Capri Suns. I get some weird looks on the dive boat when stuffing one or two into a pocket, and even better looks when I'm drinking one at my safety stop. But it does the trick.

If you are thirsty, you are dehydrated.

If you have enough spare water in your body, it will compensate by moistening your mouth.

If you're diving and you don't feel the urge to pee, you're dehydrated. Most folks with dry mouths do no have the need to urinate.

A simple and obvious equation.

So breathing dry compressed air out of a tank has nothng to do with it?

Also, in addition to the importance of hydration (BTW, dehydration is probably the leading cause of the 'bends')

orly?

dave - My wife has sjogrens ( a auto immune disease ) that drys out everything eyes, mouth etc. Got her to go diving but the dryness gets to her. Going to try the following items on a 3 day 6 dive next week in key largo. 1st got her a appollo biofilter a canister that goes on the 1st stage that has a wick in it that is moistened - pre dive. Some on this board suggest it requires alot of maintanence, we will see.Folks we dove with in Aruba swore by them w/ 200+ dives. 2nd, upon the advice of several others here on SB I got her a sherwood oasis 2nd stage, supposed to help w/ moisture will let you know what worked better - keep in touch, my e-mail ancona@catskill.net

(I wasn't speaking to "Tech Divers")

So breathing dry compressed air out of a tank has nothng to do with it?

No, not for the 30-45 minutes that most who experience such issues spend sucking that super-dry air.

If you are properly hydrated, you will not experience dry mouth.

Drink lots and lots of water, force it down pre-dive for a few hours. Not just two cups of coffee (a diuretic) and some orange juice.

Very, very few divers are actually properly hydrated. Combinations of the effects of last night's (even minor) alcohol consumption, lack of "normal patterns of access" to water sources, ambient heat, physical exertion, etc.

By the third or fourth dive of the day when you are pushing 1:00+ BT's (even at shallow depths) this extended exposure contributes to dehydration.

Solution? Keep banging down fluids. Looking to mechanical contrivances including camelbacks, juice boxes and yes- even special regulators... it is folly.

Water is more reliable, cheaper, and better for you. The DCS comment above is dead nuts on- at least for us Recreational Level Divers.

Really.

For "tech" divers, the equation changes in that protracted periods of exertion and compressed air will cause you to exceed your hydration reserves. Those with the "Tech Diver" notation on their Thumbnail understand that other parameters exist for their more extreme pursuits- here we are fielding a common question of a more basic type of diver experiencing a new, unpleasant stimuli. By the time you get to "Tech Diver" status, yes- we understand that DCS can come from many other parts of the equation. For the people that find dry mouth a new and perplexing issue, however, the basic fix is the most obvious.

Hydrate.

I'm going to second the "starburst." As long as you know you are properly hydrated, it stimulates the flow of saliva pre-dive, and the sugary coating helps the dryness. It's good for the short rec dives. While drinking the capri-sun under water may have a positive effect as well, I'd be afraid of task loading my mouth and throat (ie: choking) :)

dave -thought I replyed last night must not have gone thru - My wife has severe dry mouth. Going to Keys next week to try a Appollo bio-filter ( goes on first stage) as well as a 2nd stage Oasis by sherwood. Will keep you posted on how they work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom